Bass Pans - Regular or Stainless Steel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizcschwab

Hey Everyone,
I'm looking to get some bass pans for my ferret nation cage and I saw that they have two options, regular (galvanized steel) and stainless steel. I know the differences between the two, but what are your opinions on which to get? Do the chinchillas really need the stainless steel? Do the galvanized ones eventually rust and need to be replaced?
Thanks!!

I recently purchased four regular pans for my FN, and they are pretty awesome! I read up on the difference, and many owners say that with good care, the regular pans can last years and years - so I decided to go ahead and test it out. So far, so good!

I think it also depends on what you use for litter and if your chin is litter trained or not. It's mostly the pee that causes the rust over time so if the chin pees everywhere then the pans might not last as long as if they only pee in a litter pan. Also if you use fleece as bedding the fleece doesn't allow as much air flow between liner and pan to dry as having shavings so if the chin isn't pee trained it's wet for longer against the pan. The stainless steel ones on the other hand wont rust as fast (probably last twice as long if you have a non litter trained chin), but either option should last years before you run into a rust issue with proper care and cleaning the cage regularly. Some people also powder coat the galvanized steel ones which prolongs the life of it too.

iv had these for many years. At some point tho, one of my girls decided to no longer use a litter pan anymore. She would pee right on the bass pan. After a while, these were the results.

Tray_01_zps569586e1.jpg

Tray_02_zpsa5ff2170.jpg

Tray_03_zpsa768f361.jpg

Tray_07_zps6e20db9b.jpg

they are still good pans but the acidity in the urine eat thorough them a good bit.

- Not sure but iir, they were regular pans.

Yes, I definitely agree with Amethyst on the fleece - I have litter trained most of my chins and use fleece liners. I have found that the fleece does a lot to prevent urine from reaching the pan.

Mine are regular. I've had them for 6 years. My girls are litter trained.

Thanks everyone! Mine aren't litter trained (they never figured it out) so maybe I will pay the extra money for the stainless steel ones.

Where did you get your litter boxes? I have the same ones but can't remember who I bought them from

I have the bass regular pans, and use pine bedding. one of my chins is litter trained and the other just won't pick it up (very unfortunately) I've had my pans for a little over a year and there are some spots on the bass pans that are really rusting (they choose to pee in certain places). I don't remember how much of a price difference it is, but if it isn't that much and your chins aren't litter trained I def suggested spending a little extra and getting the stainless :)

I have regular pans that are at least 5 or 6 years old that I ordered and my chins use pine shavings. there are no rust spots or stains anywhere on the pans. I clean the pans with vinegar once a week when I change out the bedding. I do have pans that came in with rescues that do have the rust issue. I clean them, sand them and then paint with Rustoleum hammer finish paint and they are just like new.

Back