Barking

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romeo1212

My chin Romeo is free range has no cage just lives in my room with a corner of all his stuff lives like a kings get more attention than he wants sleeps in bed with me and wakes me up to scratch under his neck but he still wil out of no where start barking really loud for no reason what could possibly be the reason ?

I really do not know about the random barking, but I don't know that having him be free range in your room is the best idea .... to put it nicely. He could get into some random thing in your room that could be fatal. Also, what happens if you roll in your sleep and squash him? They have to be somewhere that you can monitor them and know exactly what they are getting into and where they can be found ...

free range is really not a good idea. Chins will eat anything: fabric, carpet, wires, whatever they can get their teeth into... and then you run the risk of them getting poisoned, electrocuted, or getting an intestinal blockage. And what if he darts out of your bedroom door one day when it opens?

Your boy would be much safer in a nice big cage.

I have 100 percent proofed my room tape wires to the wall taken out any thing that could hurt him and as for squishing him its I sleep really light he wakes me up every night by sitting on my head when he wants attention and it's been sox month now and weve talkin him to the vet a couple times and 100 percent healthy and when we're in the living room we leave the door open and let him come hang with us on the couch he gets mad when we put him in a cage of any sort he unbelievable spoils I cant stress enough that we take every percosion we can for him to be safe

I had a rat that was the exact way as your chin. Slept with me and woke me up to play. Such a great relationship. Can't answer you on the barking.. I would think he's calling for you though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could not imagine letting a chin out free to roam. They are not a cat or dog that you can do that with! You are simply asking for trouble and heartache! Its one thing to let them out under supervision and 30 min to an hour but then they need to be in their cage for their safety! I would have a heart attack if I let my boys out at all times! There is waaayyyy too much for them to get into no matter how chin proofed a room is.

Since this is a thread about barking and not roaming Ill answer the barking question.

If its the one that sounds really strange and drawn out, like of like a huffing bark (Ive heard squirrels make it too). It almost sound like weird bird? Anyway, It is not a fear sign. I suspect it might be a call to let other chins know his/her location. I know my girl used to do this call all the time till I got her a friend. She still will do it, but now its rare and in her sleep. The new chin will run up to her immediately and touch her nose, and she calms down. Try grooming his face chin style when she makes this noise and see if he calms down.

PS be cause I cant resist, I let my first chin roam while I did home work, He made a hole in the sheetrock when we werent looking and we had to carefully dig him out of the wall. So at the very least daily check the walls behind things like ur dresser and bed. I had him for about 2 years, on day while roaming he got out a small hole in a window screen (the window was 5 ft up so I haddent thought much about it). I was only out of my room for 15 min and he was gone forever. becareful. =( that was 14 years ago, I will never out grow my regret and guilt.

Last edited:
Even though it is a thread for barking, not sure who could overlook the fact about a chinchilla out loose to roam! There would be many regrets with that situatio:facepalm:n im sure.

Even though it is a thread for barking, not sure who could overlook the fact about a chinchilla out loose to roam! There would be many regrets with that situatio:facepalm:n im sure.

=P thats why I couldn't resist a PS. People will do what they will with their animals but it never hurts to try sharing information on high risk things. Learning safer ways to go about risky things is important, so I hope the OP considers the different posters suggestions.

Latest posts

Back