Barking? Why?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanacre0

In Plymouth around 7/8 months and Wiltshire the re
Eddie and I have gone down to stay in a caravan with my Mum and Dad for a few days because they're visiting me at Uni. He's in his old cage (because we got a new one a few days ago) with familiar objects and there's a dog wandering around.
My dog, Max, does like movement so he has been watching him throughout the day and sniffing him, but Eddie's been sniffing back and generally ignoring him. He's eating, drinking and running around the cage. We've been here over 12 hours now and he started barking a couple of times. He was sat by the left hand corner closest to me (I'm sleeping beside the cage with the dog) on the 2nd level of his cage with his ears up. He wasn't standing, he was just sat. He tends to bark when he's in his nest box and it's usually quieter than that, I think he's asleep usually and it's sleep barking.
I'd understand if he was barking because of a new place if he barked earlier, but it's been quite a while. He seems fine, like he's running around and using his chew toy, eating, pooping and drinking, so I don't think he's stressed. Is it possible he's just trying out his new environment?
As for the contact between the dog and the chin, I am watching very closely. If I recognise ANY signs of stress in Eddie, he'll be staying in the second bedroom away from the dog. Max doesn't hurt him, he just watches, but he does leave him alone too.
Thank for any help :D

He's barking because the dog is there. You might want to move your chin to be on the safe side. Even there's no direct contact between them doesn't mean your chin won't get stressed out.

Agreeing with Javachin that your chin might be uncomfortable with dog constantly watching him, I'd definitely consider moving one of them to another area where they don't have contact to see how there behavior plays out.

I've heard chins are pretty good travels and adjust well to new situations, but the combination of a dog, new place, and having his cage switched around might have him a little on edge with everything.

Back