bar eating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcoronaangel

My original two chins Gretzky and Ozzy have started a very annoying habit. Here is the story:

They first had their FN 142 all to themselves. Then I brought home 3 more chins. I split the top and bottom so they had the top all to themselves. Then I bought a New FN 142 and put the cage to the right of the old cage and it’s all theirs. If you have ever seen photos of my kennels you know their kennel is packed with the best toys ever. Tons of ledges and tubes and fleece and all that stuff.
(Only thing they dont have is a wheel but I let one of the other chins out for play time and exchange them into the other kennel and let me run on their wheel for an hour or so since I am awaiting shipment on my new wheel).

Problem: They are biting at the kennel bars. They started on the right side that was facing their old kennel so I put a towel over that side so they switched to the other side. I have tried rearranging their kennel 2-3 times, adding new toys, adding random stuff, hiding treats and giving them more time out of their kennel. I added two new HUGE toys tonight… and yet they are eating the bars!! I felt the sides of the kennel and they are chewing off the coating on the kennel… I am upset also because I just spent 250.00 on a kennel that they are literally eating!

Ideas??

thekennels.jpg

(I am waiting for more ledges to come in the mail intill then I have placed their train in the kennel)
gokennel1.jpg

gokennel2.jpg

gokennel3.jpg

Their old kennel:

3boyskennel1.jpg

(ps yes the two boys are back together again and getting along just fine. Glad everything worked out and they seem closer then ever! They sleep together even!)

Sounds like chins to me! I used to have a few chins who did that non-stop, so much so that they had bald spots on their noses from all the rubbing. There is not much you can do but try to distract them, which it looks like they have plenty of toys and stuff to do. I think it is a bad habit, like twirling your hair or something like that, don't worry about it.

Darn chins so annoying. I buy a new cage and they want to eat it :impatient:

Sounds like chins to me! I used to have a few chins who did that non-stop, so much so that they had bald spots on their noses from all the rubbing. There is not much you can do but try to distract them, which it looks like they have plenty of toys and stuff to do. I think it is a bad habit, like twirling your hair or something like that, don't worry about it.

Can you clarify something for me?
You have three more new chins and had split the cage, then purchased another 142?
So you have 5 chins in...basically 4 cages?

What I have experienced with bar biting is simply a desire to get OUT. lol
Sounds like your chins simply want to meet up with the others that are out of reach.
If they are same gender and get along, you MIGHT possibly consider combining your FN into a triple stacked and leaving the last available one for emergencies.

Love the layout, btw. Nice job on the cage decorations.

I have 2 kennels split into 3 different cages. I have a total of 5 chins.
Sorry cant combine they will kill each other... literally. But it wasn’t a bad idea but I have certain bonded pairs and they don’t want anyone else around. I had to post in the emergency section when I found a chin not moving at the bottom of the kennels 2 weeks ago… separation is a must unfortunately.

They get 2-3 hours some times in their play kennel and they do it morning noon and night... no reason I can see why. They can’t even see the other chins due to the towel placement.
Can you clarify something for me?
You have three more new chins and had split the cage, then purchased another 142?
So you have 5 chins in...basically 4 cages?

What I have experienced with bar biting is simply a desire to get OUT. lol
Sounds like your chins simply want to meet up with the others that are out of reach.
If they are same gender and get along, you MIGHT possibly consider combining your FN into a triple stacked and leaving the last available one for emergencies.

Love the layout, btw. Nice job on the cage decorations.

Thanks for the clarification.
Since you have bonded pairs and obvious hate issues between some of your chins that would explain the sudden bar eating. Chins have poor eyesight and even though you have a towel to keep the sets from seeing each other, they do have a keen sense of smell. They KNOW there are other chins out there and it appears are acting rather territorial by trying to bite through the bars. Mystery solved! ;)

Just a question- why would they start now though... why not start 2-3 months ago when the new chins came home?
-I dont expect you to have an answer just throwing that out there.

Thanks for the clarification.
Since you have bonded pairs and obvious hate issues between some of your chins that would explain the sudden bar eating. Chins have poor eyesight and even though you have a towel to keep the sets from seeing each other, they do have a keen sense of smell. They KNOW there are other chins out there and it appears are acting rather territorial by trying to bite through the bars. Mystery solved! ;)

All males :D... doesnt really matter though I guess if others have this problem and they just live with it so will I. it's just so random they start it all of a sudden.

lol
Ok, chalk it up to testosterone.
Or just maybe......they think their cages are too "girly" and are trying desperately to escape. ;)

I've been told having a wheel makes a huge difference. Nikki has a Ferret Nation all to herself, with as many chews as she like, but she'd still prefer pulling at the fleece liners to re-arrange them, and chewing on the bars whenever she gets a chance! She used to have a wheel in her other cage, and now does not, so I am hoping to purchase one in the near future, and thinking that will make a big difference! It's worth a try! (And even with 2-3 hours of playtime, think of the 7-8 they spend awake in their cage at night -- enough to make me bored, too! Though I don't think bar-chewing would be my past-time).

I accept with information: Chins have poor eyesight and even though you have a towel to keep the sets from seeing each other, they do have a keen sense of smell. They KNOW there are other chins out there.

Yes but they didnt start this till after the other chins had been in my room for over 2 months...

anyways Im kinda over it. I place a chew on the bars the chew on... they fin new bars... I place something in front of those... its a fun game we play every night I am home :crazy:

I accept with information: Chins have poor eyesight and even though you have a towel to keep the sets from seeing each other, they do have a keen sense of smell. They KNOW there are other chins out there.

Latest posts

Back