Banding.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina Noraas

Christina
So I was thinking about how Rex is going to get snipped next week and I was wondering if surgery is the only way to neuter a chinchilla? We band our cattle and with in a month or so their testicles just fall off, it's kinda gross but it seems effective. I'm not planning on doing this to Rex but I was curious if this could actually work on a chinchilla.

No.... At least I don't think so. cattle testicles hang down away from their body so the lastorator works. But chinchilla testicles are held close to the body (like pigs and llamas) so they require the scrotum to be cut to have access to the testicles. Did I just confuse everybody? It makes sense in my brain... I just can't get it on to the keyboard the right way.... Lol

The testicles themselves are not what you see on a chin, and because chins can retract their sacs it wouldn't be ideal at all.

Banding is not one of my favorite ways of castration in any animal. Instead of a quick snip and removal they hang there with the nerves attached for weeks as the scrotum swells, cattle who are banded can often be seen kicking at or messing with their scrotum. Even as someone who lives in the middle of cattle country and worked with large animals at the vet for years, we rarely did this,and I think it's just a lot less humane.

Back