Bald spot?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbt622

Crazy Chin Lady!
So yesterday we tried out Kirby, Harley and Indy in a cage together. They were getting along very very well. We went out for a bit and came home to Kirby sitting by himself and Harley and Indy cuddling. So i opened the cage for them to play and Kirby came running out. When i saw him jumping around i noticed that his back where his butt is above his tail had a bunch of fur missing. It wasn't like a fur slip though, like I can actually see his bare skin. The fur surrounding it looks wet-ish. There are no cuts or bleeding or anything. I initially thought that Indy or Harley did something, but then Indy was sniffing Kirby through the bars and was trying to clean him and such. So maybe it wasn't one of them? What could it have been though? I am really perplexed because I see no loose fur in the cage at all, could he have gotten caught on something? Help!

It was probably just a very big fur slip. When their fur slips, it does leave a bald spot, but usually you don't see it because the surrounding fur will hide it. If you blow on the spot, you will see the bald skin. If enough fur is slipped in one spot, you can see the skin. If the fur was wet, maybe one of the other chins was humping him, causing him to fur slip..and well, the wetness is the leftovers if you know what I mean. ;) Or..maybe one of the chins pulled the fur. I have witnessed chins taking a big mouthful of fur out of another, and then even eat the fur. That may explain why you couldn't find any loose.

If you just put them together, I wouldn't leave them unattended at all no matter how well they seem to be getting along. If there happens to be a fight, you need to be there to break it up ASAP. Otherwise it could have a very grim result...something you wouldn't want to come home to.

Last edited:
Thanks Stace :) haha I was thinking that it might've been the remnants from humping :wacko: Derek stayed up most of last night to keep an eye on them and he said they were fine, we're going to keep an eye on them for the next couple days too. Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back