Bald Spot on Dottys Tail and a Little Bit of Dried Blood !!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siany

I wont class this as an emergency because Dotty is acting normal.

Ive just spent the week with (sort of) in laws and me and my bf have come home today, my mom always looks after the chinnies while were gone and have never had any problems but......

I come over to the chinnies cage to say hello and all seems well, both chinnies are snuggled and sleeping by the tunnel as usual. So i go and sit down and just notice Dottys tail looks a bit odd, i went back to have a look and i notice she has a little bald spot and the end of her tail and i also notice a little clump of dried blood.

My mom is baffled because she doesnt know how this has happened, im also baffled because i can see no blood in the cage or any clumps of fur, they both seem to be acting fine though and my mom says Dotty has been having her sand baths.

I dont think this is a vet job because its all scabbed up and isnt showing any sign of swelling or redness, it also could of been done last night or a couple of days ago. Should i let her carry on in her sand baths at playtime or stop them until shes completely healed ??? Im also not sure if i should put anything on it.

I will take a picture a little bit later when shes a little more awake, i dont really like disturbing her when shes sleeping comfortably.

It also doesnt look like they have been fighting and even though Lola does like to be dominant shes only been known to pee on Dottys back and has never really bitten anyone. :hair:

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Sorry the picture might not be so great i took them off my mobile, the end of her tail seems to be bald on one side and there is a little cut the other side. When i tried to get closer to take a better picture she was too busy trying to sniff my phone :) then she ran off and went back to sleep !!!

I would think its hard to say what caused it. it could have been an accident, a fight or even she may have chewed it herself. Personally id just keep an eye on it (vet trip if you did get any swelling, redness or if it gets worse). Withhold the baths until its healed. I would also get some Gales Garden green cream to put on the area, twice a day. it will help it to heal and reduce any itching. :)

It looks like she caught the end of her tail on something. The injury appears to be healing OK from the pictures but you should watch for infection. I would allow normal activity and make sure she is eating and drinking normally.

Well shes definitely eating as the first picture shows :D I must admit i took a breath of release to see her doing so, i did just manage to get a closer look at her tail and it does look like shes caught it on something and pulled. Im still not sure how shes cut her tail so im going to have a closer look at the cage at playtime.

First Dotty hurts her foot now shes hurt her tail.....

Thank you about the cream i will have to pick some up, is there a website i can get the cream from or a shop ?? Thanks everyone for the advice :D

Last edited:
Just an update, Dottys tail is looking good. It does look like shes got it stuck somewhere and pulled her tail but i dont think she cares. The way the baldness is on her tail looks as if shes got it stuck and pulled it out making her lose the fur and got the skin snagged, shes eating and drinking normally and even seems more active than usual :D

I did manage to get another look earlier while she was sleeping with her tail sticking out of the cage :D i did notice a little bump on her tail and i do mean little as it did look like i was sniffing at her tail haha, and i was a tiny bit concerned about it but it doesnt look like an infection just more like a bruise. It also seems to be on the bald spot and not around the cut. Ive also not given her a sand bath just yet until it heals some more.

I would still like to hear your thoughts though, until shes completely healed i will be a worry wart :D

I wouldn't put the cream on it. It could make her sick if she grooms that area and there is just no need for it. Just make sure it is clean and once it is scabbed over she can go back to having her dust baths.

Thank you, i would like to give her a bath because there is a bit of dried blood in the fur. Lola was also inspecting her last night, she had a look very gently and then had a kiss and a snuggle. Lola then looked me and i had the "what have you done to my sister" look haha, im thinking Dotty either caught her tail in the bolts holding their tunnels up in the cage or maybe the cage doors but i cant be certain. I guess it could of been worse though so at least shes ok :)

You can get the cream at http://www.galensgarden.co.uk
it is 100% natural and safe for them if they do ingest it. I know of a few people who have had great success with it. click on the shop and go to skincare.
I had a chin who got bitten, he used to scratch open the scab everytime it got to a certain point. I used the cream and he didn't touch it again. it helped it heal quick and reduced the itching.

Thank you :) Someone else has recommended it to me too, i will have to give it a try !! Dottys doing well today an her tail is looking good :D

Latest posts

Back