Badly Rolled Ankle... how long before going to doc again?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

8 days ago I rolled my ankle HARD while walking downhill with a 50lb ruck on my back. Pain was immediate and pretty bad but I was just at the start of some vital training so I continued on. The pain lessened a good bit unless I stepped the wrong way. About 8 hours later, I rolled the same ankle hard again (still wearing the 50 lb ruck). At that time they took my ruck away from me so that I could continue on for the 4 hours left in order to receive my evaluation that I needed to get. After finishing that day of training and receiving my evaluation they pulled me in and had me sit out for the next day. The medic wrapped my ankle and sent me on my way.

Once home (2 days after injury) I went to the urgent care clinic (as my insurance does not cover regular doctors offices down here) who took x-rays. At first I was told that I chipped a bone but after receiving a second opinion it was determined that the x-rays are clear. He said that I probably just torqued the ligaments really hard and suggested wrapping it or bracing it, icing it on and off, and taking ibuprofen 2x a day for 3 weeks. He also said no running on it for 3 weeks. I did not ask how long I should expect it to be hurting before I get concerned.

That's my question. After 8 days, I would have thought that it would be feeling better unless I twisted it or stepped wrong. It's not. It is not swelling anymore and there is no bruising. But it is still painful, even just sitting here, along the ligament (or tendon? Idk) that runs below the ankle bone on the lateral side (the fibula?). I don't know if, given how hard I rolled my ankle not once but twice, this is to be expected or if I should go back to the doctor. Thoughts?

I had a similar injury, it was 6 weeks before I was pain free walking and another couple to do light jogging. I partially tore the ligaments and they needed time to heal.

Did a lot of massage and stretching/strength training to get back to walking in two weeks. The first week was really bad but I managed without crutches.

If I recall it took a good two weeks before mine quit hurting while I was sitting there. Give it extra love and look up ankle strengthening exercises, the worst thing you can do is go back to a routine and not get it up to par. It is very easy to roll it again, especially once you are jogging after the initial injury.

Good luck!

I don't know anything specific about the type of injury, but just wanted to state that ankle injuries can take a long time to heal if you don't stay off of it. If it hurts that bad, I would have crutches to completely stay off the ankle and speeding up its recovery time.

Repetitive injuries to weight bearing joints can cause some pretty hardcore tendonitis and ligament inflammation. Have you tried a different NSAID like Aleve, and continuing to ice it at night?

I have not tried aleve but I can go get some to see if that makes a difference. I've mostly been sticking with ibuprofen and naproxen (prescription strength ibuprofen). I continue to ice it on and off throughout the day.

Yesterday I started double wraping it with two ace bandages, making it more of a splint type wrap so that it restricts movement side to side or up and down. This seems to help a lot. If I go out somewhere I unwrap it and put a brace on it.

I'm hoping that by wrapping it in a splint style fashion this will help with the healing process. I have been unwrapping it at night but I left it wrapped last night because over the past week or so there have been so many times where just simply rolling over and laying my ankle down wrong has hurt it.

Just praying that I don't roll it this Thursday when I am out training. I don't have a choice in going... I was basically told to wrap it really well and cinch my boot super tight and watch my footing. I am so terrified that I will roll it again while walking around the woods (although this time there is no ruck) and I will injure it further or risk tearing the ligaments, if they aren't already torn.

I have not tried aleve but I can go get some to see if that makes a difference. I've mostly been sticking with ibuprofen and naproxen (prescription strength ibuprofen). I continue to ice it on and off throughout the day.

Yesterday I started double wraping it with two ace bandages, making it more of a splint type wrap so that it restricts movement side to side or up and down. This seems to help a lot. If I go out somewhere I unwrap it and put a brace on it.

I'm hoping that by wrapping it in a splint style fashion this will help with the healing process. I have been unwrapping it at night but I left it wrapped last night because over the past week or so there have been so many times where just simply rolling over and laying my ankle down wrong has hurt it.

Just praying that I don't roll it this Thursday when I am out training. I don't have a choice in going... I was basically told to wrap it really well and cinch my boot super tight and watch my footing. I am so terrified that I will roll it again while walking around the woods (although this time there is no ruck) and I will injure it further or risk tearing the ligaments, if they aren't already torn.

Naproxen is not ibuprofen. Naproxen is the generic name for Aleve. Icing is good. I had tendonitis in my foot and it took over 6 weeks of compression wrapping to heal.

Naproxen is not ibuprofen. Naproxen is the generic name for Aleve. Icing is good. I had tendonitis in my foot and it took over 6 weeks of compression wrapping to heal.

Ah I didn't know that. When it was prescribed to me a year ago it was described to me as prescription strength iburpofen. Given the dr. who prescribed it to me though I am not surprised that I was given wrong info.

Either way, I will keep alternating what I take and continue to ice and wrap it. I may ditch the brace and just use the ace bandage to wrap it while I'm walking around.

Back