Bad Wheels, Plastic, Dangerous Cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Hi everyone!
After almost 5 years with my little guy Chin, I was finally able to invest in a Flying Saucer. It arrived today and is all installed!

I hope he'll learn how to use it... eventually. :facepalm: He's a slow one with new things... :/ But then, it must be horrifying to have someone 10x bigger than you open a wall of your house, rearrange your furniture, and put scary new stuff in that you don't know how to use. Who can blame chins for not feeling it?

Anyway, the real reason for this post: I was surfing Flickr looking at other chin's wheels and cage setups, and there are SO MANY chins with bad wheels, plastic, etc. :(

I thought about leaving kind, informative comments on the offending photos... either for the owner's sake or for anyone who comes across them in the future and thinks they're good ideas. But then, I also feel like it's not my business. And I don't really want to start sh** on Flickr, in case anyone takes it the wrong way.

What do you guys think? Chin police?

I agree, as long as you are offering advice in a tactful way, I see no problem. It's good that you want to help.

I go around messaging the people on cl who are selling chins "with everything" that usually includes a plastic cage, shelf, and ramp, plastic wheel, death ball, etc... Plus the amount they want for the chin alone. I tell them the real worth of their chin from a breeder and how unsafe the items are plus what I would actually pay them for it. I usually don't hear back. Someone has been trying a month to sell their standard chin with that exact setup for $300. A few $100 less than they spent. The petstore sure took them for a ride.

I adopted my chin with her plastic wheel. She's had it for her entire two year life. I plan to get a non plastic wheel and switch once she's used to it. I feel that at this point I would be cruel to remove the plastic wheel. There are absolutely no bite marks on it. I think mine does more good than harm right now as she's just getting assimilated. I understand that chewing and eating plastic is horrible but how harmful is it when they don't chew on it? Would you more experienced owners remove it now in my situation?

Annamageddon- really depends. What kind of plastic wheel is it? Is it a drum wheel or a saucer wheel? If it's a saucer wheel and she's not chewing it, leave it in until you can get a new on. If it's a drum wheel...it's probably doing more harm than good as MOST do not have a large enough running surface to accommodate an adult chinchilla. What's the diameter?

It's like her safe place and I only had her a few weeks. I got her a critter nation and this wheel is the only thing left over from her pervious owners. It's about a foot tall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 20
I find drum wheels to be okay only if they don't have the huge spoke looking thing sticking from the middle . I just feared while they were running it could damage their vertebrate.

Diameter is a bit small for an adult animal...I think...shouldn't hurt for a little while but you'll want to get her a new one A.S.A.P.

Latest posts

Back