Bad Scrap.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina Noraas

Christina
It looks as if Hibiki was jumping around the cage and caught his belly on the edge of the shelf. He has a pretty bad scrap, a good portion of fur is missing, however no blood. After washing it off with warm epsom salt water doesn't look like any puncture wounds are present.

I'm debating on going to the vet this instant or waiting until morning. Half of the reason why I haven't left yet is because I'm waiting for my step dad to return with my car. Because he's hopping around perfectly fine, playing, and being himself. He's already eaten half a bowl of his food and a few sticks. I have him in the carrier for now with white fleece to detect if any blood becomes present. Do any of you who have more experience think that this should be treated by a vet asap, or do you think it can wait until morning?

If there is no blood present and no open wound I do not think a trip to the vet is necessary for a scrape. If he is not lethargic, is eating, drinking and pooping normally then I say keep a close eye on him. There is not much a vet can do with a scrape as it doesn't require stiches. If you have blu-kote you could put some on the scrape.

i agree with Laurie. keep an eye on him, put blue kote on if you have it (and get some for your chin first aid kit if you don't have any).

maybe take a look at the way his shelves are arranged in his cage, and move them around so that he has a shorter distance to jump between them. he may have scraped himself missing a jump due to the shelf being a bit far away.

I round off all the edges and corners on my shelves with a sander. That might help avoid any more Boo Boos.

I got a better look at it this morning and from it looks is that something tore the skin that is between the fur and the actual skin, like there is a flap. So it was off to the vet we went, he's all stitched up and isn't real happy right now. They didn't see any puncture wounds except for where the skin ripped. Idk if Rex got a hold of him or what happened but for now they're seperated and I'm digging out my extra cage once he's able to be put in a larger space.

I'm not sure what happened, because I double checked the cage this morning and I didn't see any blood or any fur. I've never seen Hibiki and Rex fight over anything, except for the occasional knack when they would try to steal each other's treats. I can't get a picture of it because he's wiggly and putting him in the burito hold won't work because it's under his hind leg.

But he's acting normally, eating, drinking, and pooping fine. So I'm grateful for that.

Back