Bactrim liquid gold

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chechinchillas

hmmmmmmm
I have found that the antibiotic bactrim to be a very helpful antibiotic to have on hand. It works great, but doesn't seem to mess with their appetite, behavior, etc. I do not like using baytril at all. It seems to be so hard on them, they withdrawal to a cage corner and have no appetite. I know it is stronger and used for a more serious infection, but it just seems so harsh even in tiny amounts. I even used the bactrim for a bad uterin infection instead of the baytril (a kit died inside the mother causing the infections) and it cleared it up fine. The vet said it was fine to use if a kit gets a crusty eye from being bit by a sibling and showed me how to calculate the dosage according to weight. Now I'm not going crazy with the stuff, I only use it when an infection is showing. Anyone else have any thoughts on the 2 antibiotics?

I use sulfa antibiotics for minor issues or long term antibiotic therapy like I am doing now. Baytril, Chloro, Cipro all used injectable (have had no issues with appetite when used that way BTW) are my choices for initial treatment of head infections, 21 days on then long term therapy with tri-meth-sulfa. I also would use those heavy duty antibiotics for life threatening issues where frankly the chin will not eat regardless of gut issues, I like albon for minor intestinal issues.

I also will not use any antibiotic unless diagnosed and needed, with the resistance problem that is showing up more and more due to vets throwing antibitoics at all issues, we are headed for trouble down the road, if not almost there already.

Love bactrim. Not so fond of baytril. I will only use baytril if it is a really really bad infection. With Helga and her super bad uterine infection. I used 2 days of baytril then 1week of bactrim.

Jessica

Someone expressed a concern with abcesses when using injectables (though I can't recall where exactly I read that!). Has anyone had such an issue, or is it pretty rare?

Che, is Bactrim a liquid, given orally? Forgive my ignorance, i've been blessed to only have 2 significant health concerns to deal with in the past 10 years and I have a very limited frame of reference when it comes to chins & antibiotics (knock wood!!). Thanks!

I use Septrin (Bactrim) in a similar way to Dawn - Baytril I always use injectable but, also like Dawn, I will only use antibiotics with vet consultation & a diagnosis. I have used Septrin with small kits too & not had any issues.

I've not come across issues of abscessation when using Baytril by injection but I use a clean needle every time & change to a clean needle after drawing up.

I am watching & waiting for MRSA to become a big(ger) problem in veterinary practice ............... I do not condone or agree with people keeping antibiotics on hand & using them willy-nilly without professional veterinary consultation/supervision/support. I think antibiotics are being over used & it will come back to bite animal owners in the backside.

Last edited:
I used to be a vet tech and when we would give Baytril shots we would draw in some SQ fluids afterward into the same needle so there was less chance of it ulcerating the skin ;)

I forgot to ask the vet about the antibiotics that you inject. I will right that down for next month. I go to the vet once a month whether I have an animal to take or not to pick her brain. I did talk to her in depth though about when to use the bactrim and I am a firm believer of not using it unless needed. I also don't give food treats or supplement, I think they do better on their basic stuff. I used to have mushy poop issues when I used to give stuff other than basics. The bactrim I have is given oral. The only thing I have ever given by injections is IV fluids. Rescues probably get alot more experience dealing with issues that need medical attention/medicines than most breeders. I think the most of what I see with infections is just from kits fighting/biting each other over nursing when there are mulptiples in the litter. I rotate them if that happens, but have been hand feeding the goats milk 3 times a day with the last mulptiple litters and also leave a small amount in a bottle for them and so far it's working great (keeping my fingers crossed).

The baytril burn and abscess issues is from the baytril on the needle tip, some will rinse the tip in sterile water, some change the needle, as long as that happens its not a issue. Also rotate injection sites.

ok i know if i am going to have pets i shouldnt have them unless i can provide vet care, but recently i was in a accident where i was hit from behind by a drunk driver. which caused my current financial bind! i am now facing back surgery! i have a chin that is 10 years old and she developed a large absess on her neck which is currently open and draining large amounts of white paste! i have been taking sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160 tabs generic for bactrim (800-160mg) for a case of cellulitis! i know i need a vet but i dont have that option. i need to know can i use this for my chin and if so to what dosage? i want to help her but i also dont want to hurt her!!! i love her very much she is my sweet sara!!! please help

The chin needs a vet since IMO bacterim without debridment and diagnosis of the cause the abscess will useless and to get the correct amount from a pill for the chin I personally won't try nor do I recommend doing this but to answer your question its 30mg per kg twice a day. Baytril or a heavy duty antibiotic is what should be used and I am sad to say the chins chances are not good at making it through this without vet care, again chin needs a vet for this to be a good outcome.

Last edited:
Back