Backyard Apple Tree?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarissaRelf

Animal Lover <3
We have an apple tree in our backyard that we trim every year so it doesn't produce fruit. I was wondering if I could just keep the sticks we cut off and give them to my chin as chews instead of buying them? I'm not sure what type of apple tree it is, I just know that it is apple if that matters. And we haven't used any pesticides since we've lived here (6 years) but I'm not positive if the previous owners had. Just want to try and save some money the safest way possible. Thank you!

It seems to me that 6 years history should be enough to me. But I don't know. What sorts of things happen to a tree? It gets sprayed? Can someone give a good answer why the tree would be toxic some 7 years later? Just wondering. Fyi, I know you would need to properly prepare it by scrubbing, boiling and baking

That's what I thought about the 6 years but Idk maybe it can be absorbed into the wood or something.

Fyi, I know you would need to properly prepare it by scrubbing, boiling and baking

I had no idea you had to do that. Thanks for the info. I would love details on that process!

It just seems to me that your apple wood has got to be even better then then Kiln dried pine we all buy at the lumberyard for houses and shelves, not to mention the pesticides that are in their hay and pellets. Don't forget the chemicals in a nice new fleece set, yes you wash it...but your tree has been "washed by rain" too. Jmho....The one time I prepped wood I didn't bake it long enough and it molded.....boo! Search here and I'm sure you'll find directions. Where are you in Oregon? There is a chin show in Eugene, I think it's in December

I would think it would be ok after 6 years. Maybe other people will give you a definite yes or no.

There are pesticides/chemicals made to be absorbed by tree roots that then goes through the "inside" of the tree all the way through to the leaves. This does not get washed away by rain. They are specifically designed to remain in the plant's tissues. Whether these chemicals fully disappear from the leaves, branches etc. is still debated. 6 years, 10 years, whatever, as I stated before, I would not take that chance.

As far as preparing safe wood, you can find it in the FAQ's here on the forum.

I'm licensed for chemically treating trees, so hopefully I can give a decent answer to this question. First of all there are not many chemical treatments that are going to be done to an apple tree, especially not one that is in a home owners yard. Orchard work is something different entirely, but I do not beleive that is the case in this situation. the most common pest in apples is a coddling moth. Coddling moths are treated using pheromone based glue traps set out in the early part of the year and with these traps there is zero pesticide exposure to the tree. there are other reasons why a chemical could have been applied, but I can not think of anything that would pose a threat after even a year, let alone 6 years. Most foliar sprays (sprayed on the leaves) only last about 3-7 days when sprayed on an organic surface unless that spray has some sort of systemic action. I can only think of one systemic chemical, imidacloprid which is used in vast amounts on a variety of trees for a variety of insects. This comes in many forms, and I believe apples are not on the label, but that doesn't stop people from using it. Anyhow even when used as a system drench it only stays in the tree for up to one year. Actually it starts wearing off after a few months but may have a residual effect for some time even after it starts to wear off. If it were me, knowing what I know, I would give the clippings to my chinchillas. I really doubt you have anything to worry about.

First of all there are not many chemical treatments that are going to be done to an apple tree, especially not one that is in a home owners yard.
Interesting. My dad used to spray for apple scab, some sort of bark rot, caterpillars and then something else in the fall. This was when I lived in Washington State and we had 5 trees in the backyard.

All of our neighbors did too if you wanted the tree to produce. In the south I just seem to battle aphids nonstop.

For the OP - I take it you've seen apples grow on it? If it is 100% an apple tree I'd use it after washing/boiling/prepping. :))

Interesting. My dad used to spray for apple scab, some sort of bark rot, caterpillars and then something else in the fall. This was when I lived in Washington State and we had 5 trees in the backyard.

All of our neighbors did too if you wanted the tree to produce. In the south I just seem to battle aphids nonstop.

Sounds to me like he was doing a fungal treatment and maybe a dormant oil spray. Those are things I don't typically think of home owners as doing themselves. But then usually I see home owners with just one or two trees at most. Anyhow either of those treatments, if they were done by the previous owner 6+ years ago, should have no residue left on the tree. I still think it'd be safe to use even if they had done those treatments.

I've wondered this for myself as well. I have peach, pear, apple trees, and grape vines that i spray with a fungal and insecticide treatments. And wondered how long I would have to stop treatments to get some usable wood. However I do have a mullberry tree at the far back of my property that I do nothing with that would probably be just fine to use.

^I Belive peach is a toxic wood ;)

Personally I would use the wood, it's been 6 years and more often than not home owners do not spray trees or use pesticides. At least where I live any how.

Back