Back foot pads dry/slightly calloused?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkik0720

Chin-Mommy of 3
This morning I went to check on my chins in the chin room and had a mini heart attack. I looked in the boys' cage and saw a few tiny specks of blood (although it seemed like a lot more when I first saw it because I was so panicked at the sight). I checked both boys over from tip if the nose to the tip of the tail, and they're fine. No injuries or anything (just slightly greasy fur from being handled and slightly red/floppy ears from cuddling {they were napping together when I went to see them}).
I felt a little roughness on Gizmo's back feet when he walked on my arm, so I tried to look at them. I ended up having to hold him by the tail, tuck his head in my shirt (which I've had to do since I got him to calm him down, and he'd do it on his own) to get a decent look. Both his back feet are dry/slightly calloused and his left one has a tiny little crack (hence the blood). I licked my finger and went across it and it was dry and clean. I went over it again about 2 hours ago with a slightly dampened q-tip to make sure it was clean. It's not bleeding anymore and there's barely any blood on the shelf and it isn't bothering him at all.
What should I do? I know the basics; keep an eye on it, keep it clean. I don't have any blu-kote (plus I don't think it'd even do anything since the crack is very tiny and dried/scabbed), and I don't have any bag balm. What alternatives are there? I read on the internet that you can put a little vegetable oil on their feet, but I didn't want to do anything without consulting more experienced owners first.
If someone could get back to me ASAP, I'd appreciate it. I may be worrying too much, but I'd rather worry too much than to blow it off and him get an infection or something.

Oh and I forgot to add, there's no wire for him to sit on. They have all solid wood shelves (with exception of one plastic one because I ran out of wood; it'll be replaced soon) and the cage floor is a solid base covered with Aspen wood chips.

Please help. Thanks

Blu-Kot, Bag Balm and Vitamine E oil are all known to be safe and effective. Everything else is an unknown. Bag Balm works the best for me. You can get either Bag Balm or Vitamin E oil at places like WalMart.

Rose Salve

This is the Rose Salve I have on hand. I got it for my tattoos, but we've used it on the dog's paws (in the winter when they're rough/dry/cracked) and the only thing delicate/gentle enough to use on my premature niece's dry/cracked/chapped skin.
Would it be safe to use on Gizmo's paws?

Here's some pictures of his poor back feet. I'm probably being paranoid about them, but I am so scared they'll get infected/turn to bumblefoot.
Mazlow's (his cage mate) feet are a little dry, but not like this and they aren't wider in the back.

10313861_643369565736056_7361157886789226443_n.jpg

1549346_643369562402723_750900990434704825_n.jpg

I tried to get close-ups but as everyone knows chins don't like to be still...
You can see in the picture that the left one is wider than the right.
Should I be concerned about that?

On a somewhat related note, is it normal that he, and Mazlow) lack hair between the penis and anus? That's the only spot, and neither one of them ever had hair there. And, even when the room is cool, sometimes their testicles are visible/stick out slightly. Is this because they're almost always cuddling?

~ I do plan on getting to the local Tractor Supply Store, but my gram's been in and out of the hospital with mysterious chest/side/back pain, so I do not know when I'll get a chance to get out~

Last edited:
Managed to get Bag Balm. I was going to grab Blu-Kote while I was there, but I didn't have enough money. Next question is how often should I apply it to Gizmo's feet? Would it be okay to put some on Mazlow and Willow's feet as a precaution?
Should I be worried that Gizmo's one foot is more calloused than the other?
Please someone answer these questions. I know I may be overly-paranoid, but I'd rather worry too much than not enough.

Won't hurt a thing to use on all chins dry feet, some also use it on dry ears. It's very safe for chins but I only use it if the chins feet are very dry/ calloused. Sometimes in winter I use it routinely on my guys due to dry heated air.

Back