Baby questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacd061506

My surviving two kits from the quints born two weeks ago have not gained weight. They were gaining great until the male reached 39g (from 29g) and the female reached 49g(from 29g) now they havn't gained any more but they havn't lost any either. I was going to try supplementing them a little with the goat milk/baby rice/water mixture. They are both active kits, moving and climbing all over, but they squeek alot when trying to nurse from "foster mom".

My questions are:
Is it normal for them to sqeek so much while nursing? I usually leave kits and mom alone, but I check on these guys several times a day.
How much should they eat at a time (hand feeding)?
How much should they be gaining each day?

I would be supplementing them a lot, not a little. If that's all the bigger they are, then I'm guessing foster mom has minimal to low milk. I'm feeding kits now that I'm only feeding while I'm at home, my mom once a day, and every 2 hours on the weekend. They have gone up 35 gm in 2 weeks time. If your kits aren't gaining, then they need hand fed regularly.

At 2 weeks I would also expect them to take more than 1.5 mL of formula. Mine are 2 weeks old now and are taking between 5 and 6 a feeding with larger gaps. With the every 2 hour feedings they are taking a minimum of 4.

Latest posts

Back