Baby Male just left Mom

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovelywhiskers

I am not a experienced breeder, and never was suppose to be. I originally adopted 2 female chinchillas from some owner and 1 happened to be pregnant. We took them to the vets last week (7 weeks in) they were all healthy (both kits).

So 8 weeks in, I've decided to move the baby male into his own cage. At first he seemed very happy moving in, and exploring his new home. Then all night he was calling out for them, or being upset (After all his first night alone). The cages are right next to each other. I am not sure if this is a problem or not. I've read you can do this with other chinchillas, but maybe this doesn't count for baby males? I've seen him drink and eat on his own so hopefully he keeps it up. It's so sad to see him once happy with having a family, and now on his own. It must have some effect to him. I've been giving him extra attention so maybe it helps a bit more. I'm not sure how others do this it's quite sad to watch. I just don't want anymore pregnant chinchillas lol.

I'll see how today goes.

They're talking to each other. I wouldn't worry too much about it so long as he is eating a drinking (and poops are fine). Being near mom at weaning is useful to help with the separation.

Thank you very much. Maybe the little boy gets very lonely at night. He's been talking for a week long every night just about.

Latest posts

Back