Baby Girl continues to lose weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morselchip87

I've posted about my chin Baby Girl in the past and have followed the advice, but she continues to lose weight... Let me give a quick history.

We got her at about 7 months old, she was very small to begin with, she's now about 3 and is still underweight compared to my 7 yr old male (which we house separately). She has never been a fan of Hay, and I've tried different brands and types, she has no interest in sticks - we've tried them all, hanging, toys, single twigs, big twigs, tiny twigs, she'll barely give them a couple of bites. She does eat her pellets, but she leaves a pile of crumbs and doesn't eat as much as I would expect at this age (eats about a tablespoon a day where my male is almost 2 tablespoons). No, I don't limit their food, but I do measure it to ensure they are eating.

About 2 months ago I took her to a local vet who claimed they saw exotics... $50 later I find out they are not equipped to handle animals of her size :hair: They did tell me that her teeth looked okay - basing this on previous bunnies she's seen in the past who have had worse teeth. She weighed in at 478 grams at that point. We've been monitoring her weight for months now.

So about 3 weeks ago I took her to a vet who actually does see exotics and told me that based on what I've seen, it sounds like dental disease, but when he looks in her mouth, her teeth look "okay except that her incisors aren't straight" meaning she's favoring the one side. So he gives me pain medicine (Meloxicam) and tells me to try that to see if she eats more/changes her habits. So I tried that for 3 days and there was absolutely no change. He also gave me critical care and said I should try to offer her soft food - she has absolutely no interest in the soft food (dry or wet). At this point she was down to 428 grams. She's now down under 420 grams.

So now I'm at this point where the doctor wants to do an xray and see if there is a problem below the gumline, but that will cost roughly $400. I feel that if the pain medicine didn't help, then she most likely doesn't have a tooth problem. She's happy and spunky, perhaps she is just a skinny chinny? What could be causing the weight loss? :hmm: What could the xray tell me that the pain medicine couldn't have fixed?

I feel like an overly concerned parent. Thoughts, advice?

Thanks,
Michelle

The ONLY way to rule out teeth problems are X-rays. The teeth problems could be root problems. Teeth problems can be so painful that pain meds. don't help much. Sometimes 2 different pain meds. are needed at higher doses than some vet like to give. If she is losing weight and not eating much (sounds like that is the case) there is a very good possibility that is a teeth related problem. Also the fact that she doesn't chew sticks or hay makes me think it is teeth problems. Sounds also like you are going to have to force feed her the CC (wet in a syringe)

Back