Baby Derby Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whimsy

Is the weaning to 4 months age group a suggestion, or a strict guideline?
I can understand the weaning part, but I have an adorable little guy who is a bit over the 4 month mark, but not really large enough for a "regular" show.
Can anyone enlighten me on the rules please?

Just a note to add: The baby derby is usually won by the 'cutest' - i've never seen a judge actually go over them him/her self. If you want real comments on the chin I'd put him in the big dog show.

As Alicyn said the baby derby is basically a cutest baby contest. Usually provided they are not huge, or tiny you should be fine. I personally would not take a just weaned kit to a show just to put in a baby derby. I prefer to take them after they'd be able to adjust to being weaned, I've seen some rather small babies entered and I've seen some that were quite large. I'd say if they look more like a baby than a chin that is of showing age then you should have no problems with it.

If you want to be super sure I would contact the branch that is hosting the show you want to take him to.

I'm not aware that any branch has strict age limits. I posted some for the York show's baby derby (12-20 weeks) just as a guideline, but we will not turn away an older chin.

Thanks for the info everyone!
This totally changes my plans for the NC show. Looks like I'll be bringing a bunch of babies for the derby then...
especially since I have no hope in the world of competing against Alycin's rising stars. ;)

Haha mine will not be on their A-game at this show - 4 of them are still in pairs, and Curie was only separated from the other girls like two weeks ago? EEK! Their fur will be a mess!

Alicyn you know better than that, they need to be kept by themselves in order to show their best.

Oh, I know - but I'm trying to save mom some cage-cleaning time. They will be much better for natl's! I'll probably have to pay her to keep them all in separate cages @_@

Latest posts

Back