Baby chin not gaining

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverWolf696

Chin lover!!!!
One of my females gave birth to triplets a week ago and it became apparent soon after the the lone male of the group was not getting fed so we started hand feeding but soon began to notice wounds around his snout so removed him from mom and placed him with another female for warmth and continued to hand feed. The female is taking good care of him but he's not gaining any weight. He hasn't lost any either but he's stuck at 54-55g. Is there anything else I could be doing to help the little guy out? He's super active and really spirited but I'm at a loss to help him gain more. Any advice would be welcome!

Are you hand feeding goat's milk? How often? You can add dyne to the goat's milk or until you get dyne, black strap molasses. Are you feeding every 2 hours?

I've had a couple of kits who don't gain when hand feeding. They maintain their weight but don't gain or very slowly gain. If you've tried all the of the above this may be one of those kits. Just continue as you have been. The kit will eventually start gaining normally.

you have a bottle on the cage? (may have misread)
Might I recommend you try dropper feeding?
It tends to be more effective, and give better results!
also I know I have always been taught Goats milk and a pinch of baby rice cereal, and it worked spectacularily!

I am not a fan of hanging the bottle on the cage. You have no idea how much he is taking in and how much is just dripping away. I agree, I would syringe feed. I also would not use Dyne. Just the formula mix is enough. If you think he needs more, maybe a drop of black strap molasses could be added. You could also up the cereal amount. If I have a kit that has a hard time gaining, I will put in more cereal and it really helps.

Pretty sure she's handfeeding (with a dropper or syringe) a goats milk mix and the bottle on the cage has dyne in it. That's how I read it anyhow?

Latest posts

Back