Baby chin missing fur & bumps on tail?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greychins

NWI Chinchillas
So, I was checking weights on some babies today and noticed something....

On this one chin, she is missing fur on her chest, down part of one of her arms, and at the base of her tail. She also has these sort of raised bumps on her tail which extend from about the base to right above my finger (see picture). The raised bumps almost remind me of goosebumps on a person. You can sort of see the bumps right above and below my finger on the picture (on the furred part of her tail).

I apologize for the bad pictures, all I had was my phone with me, but the skin is not scaly or dry. I can get better pictures if needed. I did notice a few dandruff-like flakes (say... 3?) on the bare skin. I've dealt with ringworm before but it's usually fairly obvious, and I feel like for this chin, I'm just not sure. Especially since it's smooth skin for the most part with a flake or two.

In case it matters, this is a chin that's about 6 weeks old, she's in with a sibling and they're still with mom, though she's a good enough weight she could be separated. This chin was out a few days ago to be weighed and wasn't like this then. So this happened in the last few days. I checked mom and the sibling, neither have anything like this.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• chin_fur_1.jpg
    chin_fur_1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 41
  • chin_fur_2.jpg
    chin_fur_2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 35
  • chin_fur_3.jpg
    chin_fur_3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 40
Hey you,
I would apply the fungus treatment with her. I have had a situation that resembles her condition, and the treatment worked.

Note: Same as you, in no time it showed up and mom and sibling did not have. Although, it is always good to stay vigilent.

Good luck ;)

I'd go with fungus treatment too. Those are strange places for it to pop up at first though. Maybe dust mom and sibling with Tinactin too for preventative measures?

Ok. I was thinking to do the fungus treatment but wanted to hear other people's opinions. Will do that.

Thanks Cathy, did not even think of that. Both babies are over the 200 gram mark, so I'm sure they will do fine on their own. Will pull them in the morning and will get everyone dusted.

Thanks all!

Back