Baby Chin born with no eyes?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsGSnak

SgtPepper
Hello.
One of my chins just gave birth to 4 kittens. One of them was already dead when I checked them for the first time. I assume it was dead before comming out of its mom. Its eyes were closed (not because it was dead, her eyelids were sealed.
From the remaining 3, 2 of them are perfectly normal (at least from the outside) but one of them has the same problem. It was born with its eyelids shut. I tried opening them with the help of some warm physiological saline solution and a Q tip, gently rubbing around the eye area. I noticed the eyelids starting to separate and a small gap starting to appear. She had eyelids, at least! But the space between the upper and lower eyelids was too small, when compared to the normal eyes of its siblings. Also, I looked inside and I didn't see an eyeball at all. Nothing black, only pink connective tissue.

What can I do? I'm afraid it won't survive for too long. I'll try to make it nurse from its mum and make sure it drinks the colostrum.
Any tips?

Thank you,
Diogo Poupado

In all honesty, the best thing you can probably do is make sure it's under mom feeding. Give it a couple days and if it makes it, reassess. Likewise, if you can get pictures without fussing it too much that may help but no guarantees.

It's been a week. She's very active, gaining weight, nursing, all normal. But still eyes closed... I'm worried.

Have you tried to open the eyes again? If you do try and you don't see an eyeball, just leave her be. I had a chin with no eyes and he did fine. She's active, eating, and gaining - sounds like a normal kit.

Thank you for the answer, tunes.
I've been checking them daily for discharges or any other abnormalities. I didn't try to open them again, because like I said, the gap is so small I'm afraid to tear it open. I'll try again tomorrow with a Q tip and some warm water and take a closer look inside to try and evaluate the presence of an eyeball. Will update tomorrow.

I'm glad you're checking for discharge, that was going to be my suggestion. With them closed this long, if there IS an eyeball in there...an infection could set in. Follow Tunes advice and update us!

I've heard of a kit being born with out eyelids. The breeder had the space sewn shut so the eye would get infected. The chin grew up healthy and did well. So chins can live a nice life without being able to see. Infection is what you want to watch out for.

I tried to open her eyes again today, but in vain.
I didn't want to force them open, because I also noticed they are starting to naturally close up. The only thing I'm kinda worried about are her small eyelashes staying inside, which may cause some infection. But I guess nature will just do its job. I'll keep checking daily for discharge or color change on the eye area. Unfortunately, wasn't able to open the eyes to peak inside like I did on day 0, but it doesn' really matter anymore. She will have to live with her eyes shut, and from what I saw when she was born, I really think she didn't develop her eyeballs. On the other hand, she's gaining weight really fast. She's now 64g. Her siblings are 65g and 55g. She's very active. I will keep this post updated in the future. Here are some pictures I took today when I was cleaning her eyes and trying to open them:

245znls.jpg

As you can see, the space for the eyeball is really small, which can be more noticeable on the right eye. The left one may seem normal sized, and it may seem like it would asily open, but I assure you it's also small, and won't open.

Hope she can have a normal life. She'll probably stay with us. Does anyone know if this can be an hereditary trait?

Thank you,
Diogo Poupado

We had a Chinese dwarf hamster come In to the store where I work like that once I adopted him and he lived a normal life very happy and healthy :) so hopefully this chin can too. Sorry no idea if it's hereditary or not but I would assume it's most likely just a fluke?

When I was breeding and showing Persian cats I had a kitten born the same way (eyes looked the same). The vet said to leave her be and bring her in when she was 8 weeks old so he could check. He checked and said her eyes underneath were extremely small and not developed. He said just leave her be and don't move furniture around. She was a happy. loving cat who never let anything stop her. She even climbed (when I wasn't looking) and jumping down (scared the crap out of me). I decided to breed her because she acted so normal. Never had the problem in her kittens, grandkids or great grandkids. She produced beautiful Persian kittens that even won 1st places and championship

I'm going against the flow here and say you need to take her to the vet. She may not have any eyeballs but what makes you all think you can treat her properly for a successful outcome on your own? Take her to the vet. She may need heavy antibiotics and they may be able to save her sight.

There are over the counter drugs (expensive but worth it) that you could use. Vetericyn Opthalmic gel is a great product and we even use it on cuts & wounds (Petco, Petsmart). It's pricey, $32, but works miracles on eye infections and inflammations. But now you don't know if you could have saved it, do you?

Wow Sue, that last statement was kinda harsh and inappropriate. A vet visit may indeed be in order but that came across very rudely. I understand you are concerned for her welfare, same as we all are but I really don't think that was necessary. We are here to help each other.

I have heard of an issue that was more common years ago with kids born with extremely small or no eyes, I am trying to recall it, it was linked to a certain color or gene I believe a white??? someone help me :)... I thought for the most part it was bred out, I had one male born with a much smaller eye. he gets by just fine

I believe that she should be checked by a vet and have those eyelids opened. If there is eyes under there, appropriate measures need to be taken. Assuming that she does not have eyes could lead to a massive infection.

Back