Babies losing weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just keep the hay going with the pellets - hopefully they won't have any gas issues from not eating. Keep an eye on the poops! :)

Also, I wouldn't put liquid milk on the pellets as it sours quickly and could spoil them. The powdered milk replacer you could put on there with a little acidophilous if you wanted.

I agree not a good idea for the milk. I wanted to make really sure they ate the first night, but they did and they keep eating without anything on it so I won't have to do it anymore.

Hi guys!
Still another question! The two kits are not losing weight anymore but they're not gaining weight that much either. The ebony one is gaining 2g every couple days, he's at 178g, and the tan one hasn't gained anything for a week, he's stuck at 270g. I've never had kits that small. Should I be worried? Obviously they're eating, I see it and they don't lose weight, but what could make them NOT gain weight?

If they are eating, not losing weight and active I don't worry to much. I notice some of my kits are much more active than other and it seem to take them longer to put the weight on.

I have had a few that would plateau for a few days or even a week or so with their weight, then they would start gaining again without any intervention from me.

They lost about 10g yesteray. Gosh, what kind of litter is that.....I'll keep a close eye on them for the next few days. If it keeps going i'll be going to the vet.

Are you weighing them at the same time every day? If is amazing how much they can vary depending on when they last ate or peed.

It could still be normal fluctuation. I would only worry if they continue to lose or not gain over a period of time, not just one day's weighing.

I agree with all of the great advice you've been getting. We give our babies a supplement as well as hay and pellets. While we have our own formula which is a bit involved you could give them about 1/2 teaspoon of a mixture of oats, baby protein cereal, a little wheat germ etc. If you want to e-mail me your mailing address I will send you some fresh supplement to use. We also use 1 dried cranberry a day (tear it open so they can smell it) when transitioning babies (if we have any problems). Hope this helps [email protected]

Thanks a lot JoAnne, I'll keep your email. Cuddlebug you were right, they put on weight the very next day and have kept on putting weight since then. Normal fluctuation it was. The smallest kit has reached 200g, hte other is over 300g now. I'll bring the smallest one to over 300g before having him adopted I think, just to make sure he's fine for real.

Back