Average time spend with chin a day

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

harlowquin

Since I am a newbie I thought I would go ahead and ask this question. How much time do you spend a day with your chin. I haven't even had ours a weekend and I am trying to leave her alone a bit to get comfortable with her new space. I sit and talk to her and just watch her for now. But I am wondering how much time you guys spend with yours. I see so many videos on utube of chins that are very friendly and come to the cage door to be let out. I do work 5 days a week so she will be alone for around 9 hours a day. We also have her in the finished basement for now, as it is so cool there. We have a dehumidifer running at all times. I just want the best for this adorable little wonder.

Felix's cage is in our living room so we are always around him. He gets scratchies and talked to all evening. I only take him out for about 20-30mins a day because he's still a baby and I don't want him to get tired.

Last edited:
I let mine out for up to an hour, usually once every 2 days but sometimes they'll get out on consecutive nights if I'm not busy.

I think it depends on the chin how much of your time they need. Mine are a little jumpy and wary of people. They seem to prefer to do their own thing than to have us interfering all the time, but they still get attention every day when we walk past the cage. I'm trying to make them a bit 'tamer', so I'll go up to them just for 5-10 minutes a few times a day, put my hands in the cage and just get them used to me being around. Then they'll get the playtime and sandbaths on top of that.

If you have one on it's own it will most likely see you as it's "cagemate" and will probably need a bit of extra attention. I would say if she seems to like attention, give her lots, but if she's still a bit wary don't stress her out by being there all the time. Build up the time you spend with her gradually.

We are constantly around the girls' cage ..and Phoenix's too.. now that they ALL reside in the bedroom. With one working nights, sleeping days ..and the other a "normal" person ..someone is always in there. And if you've ever slept in the room with a Chin'kid.. you know there's little sleep to actually be had.. so they are interacted with a lot. LOL

The room is "chin proof" also, so Phoenix gets a couple hours ..then the girls, have a whirl.. about 5 nights a week. The girls are less enthused about going home after play time, so their time is sporadic. (I often have to take advantage of one or both taking a food or water break.. and just go ahead and close the cage doors.. :p )

Trixie is in the living room with us, so she is always around us. Rick and I both work during the day, Monday through Friday, but I figure it is her sleep time, anyway.
I usually take her out every other night, but I have taken her out on consecutive nights if she "asks". I can usually tell when she is asking to go out on an off night, as she will be very active in her cage, run the wheel, or jump ll over, always stopping to look and see if we are watching. That is when I know she is primed for an extra run.
When she is not going out, I will spend time sitting with her, giving her a scratch, or the occasional Cheerio.
There are also nights when she just plain does not want any attention, and does not want to go out. She does not seem sick or anything, but just once every two or 3 weeks it is as if she is saying "Nope, I'd rather just stay here in my cage and watch TV and chew on a wood block. Thanks anyway".

Mine now have their own room but I will often just sit in there on the computer or with a book, I would say minumum I am in the chinchilla room 2 hours a day. That again is on a day I am really busy with other things. I don't watch TV often so chinchilla room is my entertainment

Kingston gets about an hour of playtime a night but he prefers to be let alone to do his own thing so I usually study or just relax and watch him. I'm in and out of the house all day so I see him a few times and say hello. They're in my room so I'm in there at night although I'm not playing with them while I sleep :p

Kurtis is still young so he gets about 3o minutes of playtime outside of his cage but I do take him out and hold him about ten minutes each day as I want him to get used to it. He likes people and will come sit on you during playtime.

So I'd say 6 hours a week playtime average for Kingston, usually there's a day playtime gets passed up because I'm busy sometimes.

The chins' cage is in the dining room (that never gets used for dining) so we all pass them up all of the time but its mostly me and my oldest daughter that has the interaction with both chins daily. As far as playtime, its every other day for about an hour and on cage cleaning day its 2 hours.

I forgot to mention in my post that I sit in Tink's playpen with her and she usually sits on my lap or under my legs. I try to spend a minimum of 15 to 20 minutes with her daily, but try to stay with her longer if I can find the time. She runs to me when I approach her and she always gives me a look that makes me feel so guilty when I have to leave her. I know it is not ok to give a lot of treats, but it usually eases my conscience if I give her a treat when I have to leave.

I only have one chin so I felt obliged to spend time with her every night. When I first got her I'd spend about 10-20 mins at a time sat next to her cage talking and... ahem... singing (a poor rendition of Copa Cabana was not well received).

After about 5 days she plucked up the courage to hop out of her cage and since then she's been spending 30mins-1hr every night wall-surfing, climbing on me and generally causing mischief pretty much every night.

5 months on and we seem to have a nice little routine however I haven't made much effort to get her used to being handled resulting in a chin that just about tolerates being stroked and isn't too happy about being picked up. Given time she might learn to love me (I'll settle for polite indifference) but I think it depends on your chin's temperament. I'm sure she'll let you know how much attention she wants when she settles into her new home.

Kunya is my only chin, so he is constantly attended to! I talk multiple times daily and so does my boyfriend. His cage is in our living room and he constantly around my boyfriend and I. He loves it! I give him about 2 hours of playtime a day in his playroom(our mudroom) each day. It's in our kitchen so we can keep a close eye on him and interact with him too. He's a happy lil guy!

Latest posts

Back