ate some paper towels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pants567

So this morning I came out and saw that my boyfriend had put a roll of paper towels on top of the chins cage. I picked it up and saw that it had been chewed. It is about 2 by 2 inches through 4 or 5 sheets. There is no sign of pieces around the cage so I can only assume that he ate it. He is sleeping right now so I don't have any information as to if he is acting differently. Is eating the paper towels dangerous to him? Could it impact in his digestive tract? Any info would be really helpful!

Ralphy has eaten quite a large quantity of toilet paper and scared the **** out of me. i suppose there's a chance it could impact his digestive tract but the best thing would be to keep a close eye on him, monitor his pooping and his food/water intake. Ralphy was okay, he didn't seem like he had a problems. It wouldn't hurt to take him to the vet if you're really worried but definitely, If the chin shows ANY behavioral change take it to the vet, stasis is fast occurring and serious.

Ok, thanks! I just cleaned his cage last night so it should be easy to monitor his poo once he wakes up. How soon do you think I'd be able to tell if something is wrong? Tonight when he wakes up?

I'd keep an eye on him for 24 - 48 hours, just to be sure that he is ok. Like mentioned previously, if he shows any signs that it affected his digestive system, get him to the vet.

Thanks for the time line, I'll probably take him out for playtime because then it is even easier to see if he is pooping and if they are normal looking. I made sure to clear out some time tomorrow just in case I need to take him to the vet.

Just figured I'd let you guys know, FenFen is doing fine. Pooping up a storm, so it looks like he's probably ok, but no more paper towels!

Just figured I'd let you guys know, FenFen is doing fine. Pooping up a storm, so it looks like he's probably ok, but no more paper towels!

glad he is doing ok :) its funny they would eat that not to tasty I dont think ! Unless he was enticed by the decorations on them if they had cupcakes, and candy, pop corn on the paper print I know some do and looking at them make me hungry LOL

I have 2 females that are always trying to take the paper towels from me and eat them whenever I clean their cages. They will case it around the cage trying to get hold of it so they can eat it. So far, I have been winning that battle.

It has been about 4 days since he ate the paper towels and I'm glad to say that he is completely fine =) I was worried that a day or two after he ate them he'd start having problems or something, but he is still doing very well. Pooping up a storm, normal sized poops. I did notice for a day or so that his poops had a weird texture (my assumption was that it was the paper towels passing through) but now they are back to normal. phew. He's still eating his food and hay and I've made sure he has plenty of apple wood sticks to chew and moved anything he could possibly get to away from his cage. I have a cardboard box next to his cage that has all his extra toys in it and he pulled it closer to the cage so he could chew on it, it is now out of his reach.

Anytime my chins appear to be having poop issues, I give them a bit of Petromalt. It's mostly mineral oil so just helps things kinda slide through. You can find it at Petco.

Back