At what age can a baby chin use a whole FN142?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonLee

Chinny Slave
When should I allow my baby chinny to wander an entire FN142? Right now the cage is divided in half and the bottom is covered with hardware cloth. Of course the second floor is intact, and the two shelves will be at the lowest position (to limit any far falls). I will cover the top in hardware cloth as well, but coordination and internal safety-wise, when could she use the whole cage?

How old is she? I think it just depends on the chin...if she seems to get around fine in the bottom with ledges then I would open it all up and see how she does. It's mostly a matter of safety and coordination.

My little one is three months old.We used hardware cloth on the bottom of the cage when we got her three weeks ago. We just opened the top up for her this past weekend after seeing that she could not squeeze through the bar spacing. So yes, it will depend on her age and size. Good luck!

She is 7 weeks old, but she is on the larger size and already can almost be contained in the FN without hardware cloth. Regardless, she has a small problem with her brakes sometimes. Lol. I'll probably give her some more time to grow before opening things up. She runs around like crazy down there, and I can't wait to give her more space. Thanks for the advice!

Once you do open it up for her, put a hammock in the middle to catch her if she falls. That way, if she falls, she won't fall all the way from the top to the bottom.

The cage has an entire large level in the middle with a cutout in the corner, and the shelves will be placed about 8 inches from each level, so there is no need for a hammock in the middle. She won't be able to fall more than 8 inches. It's not like she could fall the full 48 inches.

Latest posts

Back