Asa Goes OUT!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherLouWho

The Squee Queen
I decided that the best way to introduce Asa to Out of Cage Time (OCT) was to take him upstairs to the hallway and main bathroom. I put everything away to make it chin-friendly, and put up the baby gate at the top of the stairs.

I had to chase him into the carrier, as he still doesn't like my hand in his cage, and I took him up and opened up the carrier. I don't know how much OCT he's had in his life, but he did look pretty confused at first. Then he started making ever-widening spirals around the carrier. He peed on the carpet, but I think that was a combination of my not giving him the chance to pee before putting him in the carrier and his nervousness at the new environment.

Eventually, he started hopping up and down the hallway, sniffing at the carpet and the doors, and reaching up to see what he could see from his impressive height :laughitup:.

Then he ventured onto the tiles into the bathroom. He liked the fluffy orange rugs. A LOT. And, he liked hiding behind the door and toilet. He tried a couple of times to jump up onto the tub, but couldn't quite do it. I think he needs to hit the gym!

I finally took the dust box out of the tub and put it on the floor between the tub and toilet so that he could use it. He was SO excited, that he didn't wait to get INTO the box to start rolling. :hilarious:

By the end of the hour I had him out, he was establishing paths, and occasionally coming over and sniffing me or hopping on and off of me. I will probably do this every other day or so for the next week or two, to get him used to me and being out. Then, he can be introduced to the great big (6'x10') Chinchilla Corner downstairs.

I got a couple of cute pics, despite the fact that he was pretty fast. I will try and post the cutest later!

Great story! I don't think the baby gate at the top of the stairs is a good idea though. He will jump over it and will fall down the stairs. Get a 4ft tall piece of cardboard from Lowes or something.

Ok. I have pics up.

Attachments

• 100_4168.jpg
    100_4168.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_4171.jpg
    100_4171.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_4231.jpg
    100_4231.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_4234.jpg
    100_4234.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_4235.jpg
    100_4235.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 32
He is pretty. Looks like he had a fantastic time. It's always time consuming trying to clean up the dust, because it only takes them a second to make a mess, but it so much fun watching them. :)

Latest posts

Back