Arthritis?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diva Chins

I've been noticing that while Bubbles takes her dust bath, she wont' completely roll around. She'll get it on her tummy and sides, but not on her back. And since she's an older gal, I was wondering if it was possible (And known) for chinchillas to get arthritis.

I've not heard of it in chins,so far, but could imagine anythings possible! Might try lightly massaging her back, checking for lumps or bumps though!

I'll give that a try at her next dust bath, she seems most relaxed when it's dust bath time, thanks for the advice!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that any animal with bones and joints can get arthritis. Feeling her back may not give you any idea if she has it or not. My husband has arthritis in his hips, it does not affect the shape of his hips, just how comfortable it is to make them move. since she doesn't get the back herself, try rubbing some of the dust into her fur. That way her back gets it, too.

That's a good idea Cuddle Bug. I'm going to call the vet today and see what he thinks, I wonder if they have arthritis medication for chins...I don't know =[

Our dog had severe spinal arthritis - he'd been on Rimadyl till last fall, then we switched him to Metacam (which I know chinchillas can have). The only problem with pain meds, is when taken on a daily regimen, it can over time affect the liver. It doesnt always, but the possibility is there.
~Barb~

I have chins that don't take dust baths. It's not because of anything except they just don't want to. Of course they CAN get most anything, but I wouldn't worry about it. I just put dust on their backs and rub it in.

hey becky,
why WOULD they take a bath if they know you will come along and pamper them LOL

I have chins that don't take dust baths. It's not because of anything except they just don't want to. Of course they CAN get most anything, but I wouldn't worry about it. I just put dust on their backs and rub it in.

Normally I wouldn't worry, but up until about a week ago she was taking dust baths fine, completely rolling like a one year old. But now it's like she's suddenly turned into an 80 year old woman who could care less. I'm just worried I guess. I don't want it to be arthritis and her to be in pain over it, I dunno.

As I commented in your other thread - I think you're getting way ahead of yourself.
There could be a number of reasons why the chin is not rolling over completely in the bath. I would take the chin to a chinchilla competent vet, have a full assessment done, get a proper diagnosis and then go from there. Until then you're just worrying yourself with possibilities which may not even exist.

I agree, I think you are getting ahead of yourself. If she was taking dust baths like a one year old just a week ago, I would doubt arthritis would so suddenly cause her not to be able to roll. Perhaps she has an injury of some sort, the bath is too small for her to feel comfortable rolling wildly, she just doesn't feel like it...any number of reasons. Take her to a competent vet that can give her a thorough exam if you feel she needs it, but if everything else is normal for her, eliminating waste, eating, drinking, weight maintenance, energy level, then I would just let her do her thing and help her out if she needs it. Try a different dust bath or let her roll in it on the floor...

Right now she's on Blue Sparkle dust bath, I dunno where to get Blue Cloud, she gets clean dust bath every time. I've tried letting her re-use her old dust bath (After checking for pee and poop) and giving her new, nothing helps. I'm going to call the vet back tomorrow (The one that I like) and see if they'll do a general examination.

Sorry, I meant the container that she dust bathes in. Perhaps she feels confined? Try letting her roll freely on the floor maybe and see what happens...

Sorry, I meant the container that she dust bathes in. Perhaps she feels confined? Try letting her roll freely on the floor maybe and see what happens...

OH! I haven't tried that. So far I've only tried a huge metal bowl and the dust bath house, I'll give that a try right now.

Back