Are they really that fragile?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laurie - I don't think that all the environmental/husbandry stuff addresses whether a chin is fragile or not. I honestly don't think a chin is any more fragile than any other pet. A horse could be fragile if you allow it to eat unsafe wood or bed it down on cedar. A dog could be fragile if you fed it nothing but candy bars.

Now physically? Yes, they are fragile if they are kept in an unsafe environment or if they are handled incorrectly. I think they are more likely to be killed by ignorance of a pet owner though, rather than because they are truly "fragile" physically.

You can skip this paragraph. my need to ramble I'm told is an illness, and I'm a very sick person xD:
This whole idea to get a chinchilla came about one day, when I told a co-worker that I had two pet (female) rats. I was describing the care that goes into cleaning out the cage and making sure they had they proper balanced diet. Not to mention the amount of things I'd put in their cage that had been demolished by their basic need to gnaw. I'm not sure if you guys know much about female rats, but some of them require months even years of trust training. And as rescues seem to go mine even now haven't warmed up to me entirely. the co-worker told me how it all reminded her of the chinchilla she used to have. She had many funny little stories about the chinchilla free ranging in a closed off room, and still managing mischief. Since to me they sounded rather similar I'd opt for a pet with the longer life span, as rats typically live up to 2 years.

I think for now I'll hang on to my girls and if in the future if I decide to get another pet I'll more then likely adopt a chinchilla. Although the climate issue does sound less then ideal for my area. I can't always promise them a cool air conditioned room, heck I can't even promise myself that. I do appreciate all the help, and will remain on this forum. I'll post what I can but for the most part I'll just be learning until I actually adopt a chinchilla.

ive had a chin since november and i couldnt live without him. find out the best way to care for him through here and he'll be a lifelong friend that can make even the worst day better with one little swipe of his nose

You can still have a life and own a chin. I can't watch the video since I'm on a computer with no sound currently, but I will watch it later.

You don't have to let your chin outside their cage everyday. It is nice to do, but not necessary. I know of a few members here that their chins get outside time around once a week. As with any pet, you need to make sure they are healthy and happy. I also do dust baths twice a week.

I have left for 4 days and had someone check on my chins each day. They made sure they had food, water, A/C and that they were safe. This was fine. I have left for the weekend a few times and did the same thing. You do not need to spend every waking moment with your chin.

One reason that people might say it's a mistake: They are not like dogs/cats. Chins have different personalities and are very skittish by nature. Some are very friendly and others want nothing to do with you. People expect such a cute animal to be snuggly and cuddly and most of the time, this is not the case.

Last edited:
Although the climate issue does sound less then ideal for my area. I can't always promise them a cool air conditioned room, heck I can't even promise myself that.

Unfortunately, the climate situation really is mandatory if you don't want to come home to a dead chin. My apartment stays between 60 and 65 all year and it's manageable even though I'm more of a warm weather person.

I think it's wonderful that you're taking the time to research them first. They're amazing little creatures that are full of life and personality. I really don't know what I'd do without my little fuzz faces. As cheesy as it is, they really do make every day a little happier for me.

Back