Are these woods safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nana

Hi, there.
I found people who sell woods (for BBQ and stuff) near me (Northern VA).
Here is their website.
http://www.overcomingobstacleslandscaping.com/Wood-for-Barbeque.html
Which of these woods, you think, are chin-safe?
The seller says that all of our wood is treated with absolutely nothing.
Also, they don't look too yummy, but do you think that chins love them?
Thanks for reading!
Nana

Last edited:
Both I and my chins love organic apple twigs. There are some sellers on here if you do a search for wood. The bark needs to be on it as that is consumed completely in about 32 seconds. ;) To be honest, not sure how much I would trust that company, but that's mainly because I typically only trust small batch makers who sell on here or that I at least know collect and process it themselves so hopefully it is more likely to be organic and processed correctly. Also, I would expect most of that wood to be chips with no bark....and not processed at all.

I would also call and double check what they mean by "not treated". if its for fire they may mean it has no accelerants added, not that the tree was never sprayed with pesticides. And yeah, you'd have to process it yourself and it looks like more wood than bark, which is usually the chin's favorite part. There are a few chin-safe lists on the forum if you search for them.

I wouldn't use it for chins.

My dad went through out property and logged off trees a couple of years and sold the wood for firewood. The wood isn't processed in any way at all. By looking at the site and the piles of wood, I'm assuming they cut by log splitter. If so, the wood is likely with splinter-y which is going to poke your chin in the mouth, etc.

I would avoid it all together. There are better options that you know are safe, just check the classifieds.

Back