Are these woods ok for chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardinggamer

My dad has a lot of wood an I was hoping it was ok to make toys and stuff for my chin. Here is a list of the wood he has

Cherry
Walnut
Pine (not sure it it's white pine or not)

Do they all have to be kiln dried?
I think it would be soooo cool if my dad can make stuff for my chin :)

Cherry and walnut are out. As a general rule, nut wood and stone fruits (Fruits that have a single pit like cherries or peaches) are out. Citrus trees are out as well. Seed fruits (apples and pears) are okay. There are a few exceptions, but I find that to be the easiest way to keep them straight when I don't have a list handy.

I find this list pretty comprehensive: http://exoticpets.about.com/od/chinchillas/qt/chinchillawoods.htm

As for pine, it does need to be kiln dried white pine, I believe due to the sap.

Cherry and walnut are out. As a general rule, nut wood and stone fruits (Fruits that have a single pit like cherries or peaches) are out. Citrus trees are out as well. Seed fruits (apples and pears) are okay. There are a few exceptions, but I find that to be the easiest way to keep them straight when I don't have a list handy.

I find this list pretty comprehensive: http://exoticpets.about.com/od/chinchillas/qt/chinchillawoods.htm

As for pine, it does need to be kiln dried white pine, I believe due to the sap.

Thank you. Where I used to love there were plenty of white pine trees and of I had a kiln I would have gone over to get some. Ill just go to the store I guess.

That List is very helpful.

What are the finger traps made out of? I saw a few chinchilla chews with them. Does that mean they are safe? They are so easy to get that I might get a few so my chin has some stuff to chew on

Back