Are these two getting along?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djstorm100

Ok I hate that right now I have my Ferret Nation ins haves...granted I have, to me, a baby chin and a Adult. The adult in my opinion is not making any aggressive moves or anything of that nature. She simple go up to the baby to check her out and the baby will run, which then my adult will run after her. I'm thinking when the baby runs Midgy (adult) thinks the baby is playing thus runs after her but in really the baby is scared. Midgy does make a louder grinding sound with her teeth

Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8E6Ko4stHo&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPhSlinjQoY&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46YTuDF-WfU&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTEMpBm07mc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVLZYCkHmoA&feature=youtu.be

what sort of introduction techniques did you use? or were the 2 chins just put in the same cage together? I would suggest searching the forum for introduction techniques, and go from there.

what sort of introduction techniques did you use? or were the 2 chins just put in the same cage together? I would suggest searching the forum for introduction techniques, and go from there.

Me and the GF were in the bathroom (neutral place) and let them run around. She held Midgy and I held the baby and let them sniff one another. We let them have supervised time together and at night/work separate them.

when the baby will squeal/be voical Midgy will stop getting close, turn around and walk away.

One playtime is not a proper introduction. You need to read the threads on introductions and start over. Right now, it looks to me like the older chinchilla is bullying the little one.

One playtime is not a proper introduction. You need to read the threads on introductions and start over. Right now, it looks to me like the older chinchilla is bullying the little one.

I understand one playtime is not proper intro. We keep letting keep giving them time with one another muliptile times when one is home, and then seperate while we are gone. We left the access hole on the ferret cage close but with the ramp with the cover off. This to simulate "two cages" beside one another.

Bullying how so? There's many times Midgy will go up to her area and the baby will make a sound if midgy gets too close and midgy will turn around and go back down to "her" side. Image if a stanger walked up to you and you stated "go away" you turn around went back to where you came from, peacefully.

I haven't been able to watch the videos yet, but from the sounds of it, they are just fine, as long as there is no biting spraying and such, they are fine. I would keep doing what you are when you're gone. It doesn't sound like any bullying is going on, again as long as there is no biting, and obvious fights. The baby may just be afraid. They will warm up to each other. If you can though I would get another cage to put right beside the one so that way they can still get close to each other and so forth. Again, it doesn't seem like they are fighting, but I haven't seen the videos, just warming up so to say. Good luck. Also, if they do start to fight separate them immediately, they can really hurt each other.

I am glad to read that you are separating them if you cannot be there to supervise. So many people just let them play once or twice and then throw them together in one cage and expect them to get along.

I believe bullying is occurring because the little one sits in a corner most of the time and appears terrified. The times she does leave the corner, she runs if the other chin comes close. A chinchilla does not need to bite or fight another chinchilla to bully it. It can use it's size to intimidate the smaller animal. If it continues, the bullied animal will suffer from stress and/being kept away from food and water.

If anything really the small one is bullying the bigger one. I did see the videos now. And any time the older one came near the baby she went after the chin. That's not to say though the baby isn't still intimidated, however, as long as they are supervised and not physically hurting one another, there is no reason they shouldn't be together. I still however suggest getting a cage for side by side. If one is being bullied (not physically) its just a dominance establishment. Not always, but that's what this seems if it is indeed going on.

If anything really the small one is bullying the bigger one. I did see the videos now. And any time the older one came near the baby she went after the chin. That's not to say though the baby isn't still intimidated, however, as long as they are supervised and not physically hurting one another, there is no reason they shouldn't be together. I still however suggest getting a cage for side by side. If one is being bullied (not physically) its just a dominance establishment. Not always, but that's what this seems if it is indeed going on.

If you watch past the first video, the larger one is cowing the smaller one into staying in the corner.

Happy to report that they get along fine now. The baby is talkive as all get out, which is awesome. Me and the GF were re doing their cage and since I don't have another cage to put them in I had to carefully do it while they were still in. Of course they were thinking "WTH is going on" but after we put new items in there (that wasn't theirs) they were good to go. The small one was eating and when midgy came close she let out a bark for her to back off...well she didn't and she sprayed midgy. This was before we did the cage. I woke up this morning and Midgy is in her bed and baby is right above midgy on the ledge. When I came back they were both in bed together and will now "kiss" one another and just hang out.

I did watch past the first one, I just watched them again. And I do see what you're talking about. I still think over all though it is the smaller one. And again, I'm not saying she's not being intimidated but the larger one, but for the most the larger one does her own thing. The question here is weather they are getting along, and if they are still in the "warming up" stage thus behavior is perfectly normal. As I've said, it seem like its a dominance establishment issue. In my opinion they will be just fine with continued supervised play times until they get warmed up to each other.

Back