Are These Healthy Weights?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelyco

Fur Flavored
Hey all!

So my girls are both around a year old now (maybe a few months over), and I've had them since February. I've been trying to weigh them monthly and only missed one month so far. Pearl seems to still be growing at a steady pace, and she is younger than Diamond probably by a few months, but Diamond has been steady for the last 2 weights, and I'm not sure if her steady weight is a good size; I don't know what's normal/healthy.

Pearl
3/17 - 356g
4/16 - 383g
5/15 - 429g
6/19 - 485g
8/17 - 560g

Diamond
3/17 - 504g
4/16 - 558g
5/15 - 567g
6/19 - 600g
8/17 - 600g

Both girls are eating and drinking fine, and Diamond had a poop issue for a couple months when we got her but it cleared up on its own a few months ago. Pearl is more active than Diamond.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wow! Pearl must've been incredibly skinny when you got her. their gain looks good to me, but other more experienced members will give you better feedback.

chins can vary in weight. some small chins will weigh closer to 400, when the chunkers will be more like 900. as long as there is no rapid decrease in weight and they are eating/drinking/pooping/chewing, then all is good!

Weight gain is good, no matter how big or small. As long as your chin is healthy, not boney, and not losing weight, then they're at a good weight for them.

There is a wide range of weights that are considered normal. I have 22 chins here- my smallest is 450 gms (an adult), the largest is around 900 grams. My smaller chins eat like crazy beasts...they are just genetically small.

Also, young chins sometimes have growth spurts and take a while to reach full maturity. I have had chins that grew until they were 2 years old.

Thanks. I had seen that breeding chins were mostly 900+ so I wasn't sure what the lower end of the spectrum for healthy chins was. I appreciate the info!

Most of mine got physically bigger up to about one, but they continued to fill out up to about 18 months old, and reached their final adult weights about then.

Latest posts

Back