are these bars too far apeart?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partygirlha

long story short I'm looking for a playpen I can get in and out of quickly and still see into when I'm not inside it with my boys. I saw this http://www.petco.com/product/5874/Precision-Pet-Eight-Panel-Wire-Pens.aspx and thought it might work, I measured the bar spacing and it's 1.5". Is that safe for play time? I'd still give them cardboard walls on most sides of the room so they can wall surf, but I would really like a 48" (taller if I could find it) area with a door and a way for me to keep an eye on them from a few feet away.

what do you think? is it safe? would it work?

I have a huge parrot cage with verticle bars 1-1/2 inches apart. I was shocked to realize that my 2 boys could get out of that, but they do. I covered it in chicken wire and that worked. Ps the boys are normal average sized.

Yes, my playpen is also 1.5" spaced and I was SHOCKED the first time one of my boys squeezed through! It was like magic, I couldnt believe my eyes. So I lined it with cardboard - BUT! then one learned to jump from a box through the bars, and since they're a little chubbier now, the poor thing got stuck halfway and made the most soul crushing scream. So, um yeah it's gonna be an issue.

The dog pen is no longer on my list of ideas. Currently I have 24" wide cardboard panels that are 48 & 70" tall taped together. The chins no longer jump out since the 70" tall panels are in their jumping/escape areas. I'm generally in the play pen when they get play time, but since I work full time and go to school at night they don't get play time evey day. I feel bad for them and would LOVE to give them more play time. the best way to do that would be to have a play pen I could see into. Our house has a failty open layout on the first flpoor and they are sort of in the middle to if I could see into the pen I could see them eaily from most of the first floor. I was hoping that being able to see in would make it a bit easier to give them play time when I can't be in there with them - like when we sit down to dinner (about 4 feet from where the pen is set up). I just hate that I can't see in to make sure they are OK.

Any ideas? (must be see through and at leat 48" if not 70" tall and easy to set up and put away)

Well, like mentioned above, you could get the play pen and wrap it with some chicken wire. That way you can see them but they cant escape!

that is an idea. I always hate spending money on stuff that you than have to alter so much, but if it works and does the job I guess it's worth the extra altering

Latest posts

Back