Are seed heads bad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eycamry

I recent got a bale of timothy hay locally, and thought it was second cut because it looked really green. After some reading, I realized that it might be first cut. It has a lot of seed heads. Are the seedheads bad for chinchillas, rabbits, and guinea pigs? My chinchillas really love this new hay though.

Thanks.

I got a few in a bag of kaytee hay once. My chin really loved the heads and didn't have any problem with them. Going to switch to oxbow or even some locally grown hay once the bag of kaytee runs out or gets too old.

That is good to hear. Thanks, everyone. My chinchillas really LOVE the seedheads. I just wanted to make sure that it is ok. :thumbsup:

I give the seedheads to my one chin as a treat, he goes crazy for them and grabs them out of my hand so fast..the other one doesn't bother with them.

I use them as a treat for babies, they don't know any better and they still love them! I think all the chins love them here.

I love watching them be eaten. When Chula does actually eat one he turns it on the side and eats it like corn.:hilarious:

Yup, my girl loves the hay too. I actually got hay from eycamry, and it smells so nice. I offered Cinder a seed head as soon as I got home, and ever since she was a baby she could care less for them. But not this time, lol, she grabbed it like a greedy little kid and ran off with it happily. :dance3: I'm wondering if the hay that her breeder gave me was 1st cut, or better quality, since every batch of hay after that has been 2nd cut and she didn't like the seed heads. Guess it took me a while to figure out which hay she liked...

Back