Are Healthy Bits safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardinggamer

My fiancé's parents got the Healthy Bits by Kaytee and it says for rabbits and chinchillas. Are they safe for Chinchillas though? Rinny is just over a year old and I want to make sure I don't give her anything she can't have. It looks like there are nuts in it which I don't think are good for Chinchillas.
Worst case I will just give them to our rabbit.

No, you should not feed them. They contain peas, corn and other ingredients that are not safe for chinchillas.
Use alfalfa hay, rose hips, rolled oats, apple wood, or safe herbs as a treat instead :))

Absolutely not for a chinchilla. I have NO idea about rabbits' needs, so can't speak to that.

From the website:

Kaytee Healthy Bits provide the crunchy, nutritious morsels small animals crave, combined with the essential nutrients they need, into a fun-to-eat crunchy treat. Wholesome ingredients such as, honey, molasses, papaya, carrot, apple, sunflower, and unique seeds, combined with essential nutrients, will delight your small animal and promote good health.
Ingredients:
Oats, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Cracked Corn, Milo, Oat Groats, Sunflower Hearts, Peanuts, Wheat, Ground Oats, Ground Wheat, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Canadian Field Peas, Gelatin, Dried Papaya, Dehydrated Carrots, Honey, Corn Sugar, Ground Corn, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Dehydrated Apples, Cane Molasses, Corn Oil, Salt, Dried Whey, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Dried A. oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min.).......16.0%
Crude Fat (min.)............5.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).........15.0%
Moisture (max.)............12.0%

A rule of thumb; Kaytee = no no. Everything they make is terrible for chins in my opinion and that product is not safe for chins.

Latest posts

Back