Are candles safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamiJami

I did a search and I didn't see anything. After seeing the air freshener topic, I thought I'd ask.

Are candles safe to use in the same room as chins? What if it's unscented? (like if there's a storm and I light some candles)

Thanks!

I would say that as long as you are extra careful, candles would be ok. I have lit scented candles in the living room when my chins are in there. It didn't seem to effect them?

I would tend to think that as long as they are unscented and out of the chinchilla's reach, it should be fine to light them in the same room.

My chins are in my room, therefore I have an plug in air freshener in there and I have a diffuser on my dresser. I also have a fan blowing to circulate air and my chins are not disturbed or affected by them. My caution about candles would be if you are someone who allows free roam of your room or house these should never be lit or present during playtime

I use candles from time to time, but no where close to my chin's cage. I think in general candles should be burned away from any animals. I have birds as well, and I won't burn the candle near them. But I do love the smell and can't resist using them from time to time.

I'd stick with candles made in America, just to make sure there's not lead in the wick that could get in the air and maybe to harm long-term. That, and well-ventilated, never unsupervised, all the tips mentioned!

Back