Are any planting pots ok for them?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

I've noticed some people have the reddish/brown pots in their cages, probably the most common kind. Are those ok, even if they may chew on them?
I've had their hair in a plastic holder, they don't seem to care for hay anymore, except the cubes. I decided I wanted to buy a pot as they are pretty cheap but was worried about them chewing on them, or if it didn't really matter. They haven't really chewed on the plastic, but just to be safe, as well as I think the plotters look really cute with the hay in them.

I've noticed some people have the reddish/brown pots in their cages, probably the most common kind. Are those ok, even if they may chew on them?
I've had their hair in a plastic holder, they don't seem to care for hay anymore, except the cubes. I decided I wanted to buy a pot as they are pretty cheap but was worried about them chewing on them, or if it didn't really matter. They haven't really chewed on the plastic, but just to be safe, as well as I think the plotters look really cute with the hay in them.

meant "hay" not hair lol

Yeah those are what there called. I'm sure they are fine since many other members have them. But I don't know much about them, and of course my chins will probably bite on them a bit lol.

A lot of people use terra cotta planting pots. I wouldn't use anything that's been used however. As for them rolling around, you can wedge them in between houses, etc. Some people have even made wooden ledges where they drill a hole large enough for the pot to fit so it hangs on the ledge.

If I recall, people said to stay away from the terra cotta pots made on Mexico and China for lead reasons or some other potential contaminant in case they chew on them. Personally I tried one back when I started and it got dirty too fast and since terracotta is absorbent, per gets soaked in and smells nasty pretty fast. Now I don't use any pottery in there unless it is glazed and high fired.

Back