Appropriate weight for pregnant chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrynight0621

I've inherited a more-than-likely pregnant chin, 8-year-old Lucy.

IDK when she was last with a male, but we got her on June 20th. The breeder told us, "She has always been a little underweight and boney, so don't worry about that."

I don't know as much about chins as the breeder, but wouldn't that be a bad thing? She does appear a little thin and I can feel her sharp bones when I touch her. She eats all the time though.

So, my question is: Is the breeder right, or should I be taking some steps to help Lucy put on weight?

I wouldn't listen to a word that breeder said if she thinks a "underweight and bony" chin is okay to breed and nothing to worry about.

Keep her on a unlimited high quality diet of pellets, hay, and fresh water. There may be a supplement you can give her since she may be pregnant, but I will leave that to the breeders to answer.

Contact Tanya on here, she has excellent supplements for weight gain and for nursing chins.

I agree, the breader who thinks it's okay to breed a bony, underweight chin is a not someone I would take any advice from. Make sure she's got hay availble at all times and pellets as well. Other than possibly adding a supplement, that's really all you can do. Weight gain should be gradual and healthy, not packed on all at once.

Latest posts

Back