Appropriate age for a wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tati121

At what age is it considered safe to allow one's chin a wheel for fun and exercise?

I was under the impression that it was best to wait until they were a year old in order for them to mature and grow properly without having to worry about possible curvature of the spine. Am I correct in thinking that?

I understand that some may have gotten a wheel for their chin at an early age and currently have no reason for concern but I'm curious about the possible ramifications.

Insights/thoughts?

They can have a wheel at 6 months old. Chins under 6 months shouldn't have a wheel or out of cage playtime because they need to use all of their energy to grow.

Agreed, 6 months old and not before that. They also need a wheel that is at least 14 inches across. Anything smaller can cause them to arch their back unnaturally. Some good wheels are the Chin Spin and the Silver Surfer. The flying saucer is also a good one even though it is no really a wheel.

Well, I have had many kits born here (to pregnant rescues) and as long as they have been healthy, you can't stop them from running around, climbing the cage and being complete lunatics when playing. Once they reach 8 weeks, they love to run around in our play area and will popcorn with joy almost non-stop.

A chin in the wild is not confined until they reach 6 months and a healthy young chin will not want to be restricted either nor should they be. Having a limited safe play area will not stunt a chins growth.

As far as a safe chin wheel that is at least 14"-15", I have given to chins that are at least 10-12 weeks old with no issues ever.

Back