Apple Twigs- Is this normal??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naduah82

I bought some apple twigs from Petsmart, and I noticed on one of them there's these little "spots"...has anyone ever seen this and is it normal? (I took a macro shot, you can see them really good when you click on the pic.)
IMG_2335.JPG

That wood was dead when cut off the tree. Haven't seen that type of spot on live wood - it will grow in log piles when the wood is stored in a damp environment for a long time. I would even question that it is apple.

I don't feed wood like that but you probably could. I just figure if it was dead on the tree it's had longer exposure to insects and fungus - and it died for a reason.

Here are some pictures of old but live cut apple wood.

This was under my dad's smoker for three years before I took it home with me. It has been at my house for over a year because I forgot about it and I recently hung it in a cage.

I love wood like this because it is completely cured and hard as a rock. It will last a year instead of months.

So when you look at these pictures; Number one is that the wood is still a healthy purple/maroon. Live apple wood cures that color. The "Spots" are from a season where it rained and then froze and the bark split and they are the same color as the bark to the naked eye. You can see a wound from a branch that was cut three years before the tree was taken down. The black part is from the wood molding/decomposing (your wood should never look like this) and there are three distinct rings of healing.

The second picture shows that the edge was cut with a chainsaw - three years before I got it and cured properly it is still white. The tunnels are from bugs long gone. The rest of the damage is from chins. :D

Figured this would be useful for people buying wood from the store/Ebay.

Attachments

• OldWood2.jpg
    OldWood2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 51
  • OldWood1.jpg
    OldWood1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back