Anyone use FarmerDave?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teekachin

I wondered upon his website for hay and some wood chews. He aims for rabbit, chin, guinea pigs, and other small mammals. Sounds and looks like a quality production and there are some testimonials from chin owners, but has anyone on here used or heard about him?

I'm curious about his raspberry wood chew sticks (with thorns removed) and then the timothy hay with some clover in it. Seems like clover would be a treat though, right?

Here's a link to his site http://www.farmerdave.biz/servlet/StoreFront

Yes, I'll get a few bunches of wood from him each year (been using him for a few years now) and have never had an issue. I got hay once, where it seemed nice and fresh to me (no moldy smell or dust) the chins weren't fans of it. Not sure if that's helpful though as some batches from Kleenmama they'll be snobby towards while other batches they'll tear right through. Oh, and the wood has always been clean and thorn free? Hope this helps.

Oh, the first time, since he was new, I just got a $6.95 small bag of sticks to try him out. If, you're still nervous just try the small sample sizes until you're more comfortable.

He sells apple wood on the quantiity of a package on his web site. I asked him if he can tell me how many pounds they weighed he would not tell me. I just figure I would order wood from people on this forum.

From what I have heard, he has terrible customer service if you question him about any of his products and he is just very shadey in general. I did order hay from him a couple times, and in one of my shipments I received a big box full of what looked like grass clippings with a ton of weeds and I found a moldy mass in the middle of it all. However other people have said good things about his hay. I personally won't buy from him anymore.

Last edited:
I like his super skinny twigs. I have one girl who will only chew the skinniest of the skinny and his are expensive but really consistent in size.
I didn't like the clover hay, it seemed like a weird mix of stuff. The chins didn't love it. I've got his 2nd cutting timothy and that's really nice. It's finer than the Oxbow I've been getting, which has been coming in really coarse for some reason. Also, Dave's smells awesome...don't know if the chins care but it smells fresher to me. I like KMS also.
My only customer service issue is that I e-mailed once asking about a bulk purchase of wood and he never got back to me, but I didn't follow up either.
I'd say try a small quantity of the hay and see what you think. It seems like hay is pretty variable, I haven't heard of any supplier that can consistently provide the same quality throughout the year.

Thanks for such fast, honest responses! If I get the job I want next month, maybe I'll order some small sizes to try, probably just the straight timothy hay and some apple wood. The negatives on customer service don't encourage me though.

Thanks again :)

Teekachin - if you are in the Los Angeles/Orange Counties area I always have timothy hay that I have been giving away for free. Sometimes I am in Riverside or Temecula areas.

I haven't ordered from him, but I've heard mixed reviews. Personally, I think his wood is priced a bit high. You could do better ordering from folks on the forum and hay elsewhere.

My chins and I LOVE Farmer Dave! We've never had an issue... customer service or product wise... It can be a little costly at times... however, if you catch it at the right times, he does Bulk orders and I've gotten 500 apple sticks at a time from him for very little!!! The skinny apple twigs are both of my boys' favorite toys and they chew them like they're the best treat I could ever give them.

They also like the hay cubes, but weren't fans of the loose hay (though it smells amazing!).

Latest posts

Back