Anyone tried these for hay holders?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercynursie

I saw these suet wire box style feeders at TSC and it struck me that they might make good hay holders to attach inside the cages.Has anyone tried them with good results. Are they safe for chinchillas. The wire squares measure 1x1.

If I remember correctly a chin died because of the suet holder-a member sold them to another member as a hay holder and the chin somehow got killed-there was a picture of the dead chin.

What is it made of? Perhaps the chin who died got her/his head stuck in it? I wonder if you could hang it on the outside of the cage and the chin could pull the hay through the mesh of the cage instead? This would work best if the cage is 1"x2", though. Also, if it is plastic coated, that might not be good.

I asked about the incident to someone else who was here at the time to see if they remember the scenario on how the chin was killed.

Thanks everybody! I'll just keep using hay pots and wooden holders. It's not worth risking any of my boys injury/death.

Latest posts

Back