Anyone know where to buy timothy by the bale in WY

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann1

Does anyone know where i can buy timothy hay by the bale in wy? I usually have my sister bring me out some from ca once a year but last year she didn't come out. My local feed store said they had stright hay but wasn't timothy so i bought it (had no choice) is there any sure way to tell hay from alfalfa? I know there is but i don't know how. To the best of my knowledge (looks wise) alfalfa seems to be more leafy/flowery then timothy? I always thought alfalfa had a stronger smell too but i could be wrong. I've been buying little bags of timothy from the pet store but it always looks brown. Chinnies aren't digging it. Anyhow if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

First of all, you are correct about alfalfa hay looking more leafy and flowery than timothy. Alfalfa is a forb, meaning it has broad, net-veined leaves, while timothy is a grass, meaning it has longer, thinner, linearly-veined leaves. Think of it this way: alfalfa=bushy, timothy=grassy?

Anyway, timothy hay should be fairly easy to find, especially in Wyoming (huge grasslands...lucky!). If you know anyone with horses, contact them as there is a good chance that they know where to get timothy hay (it's the most preferred hay for people who are serious about their horses). Also, try checking out any riding schools or horse barns in your area...they might have a supplier you could buy from. Anytime you're driving down the road and see a "Hay for Sale" sign, stop in or call the number to see what type of hay it is. Timothy shouldn't be too hard to find, you just need to be tricky about it. ;)

Hello and thanks. I do know quite a few horse people but most won't justify buying timothy due to the cost. I also called a couple ranches and still got the same answer. the only place I know has some is about an hr drive from here and they won't deliver just a bale or two and since most people won't pay the price for it i've kind of been s.o.l. :hair:
I haven't tried the hay exchange place (in fact I haven't hears of it) but i will look into it.
Have many others experienced that with their timothy looking brownish? Thanks

First of all, you are correct about alfalfa hay looking more leafy and flowery than timothy. Alfalfa is a forb, meaning it has broad, net-veined leaves, while timothy is a grass, meaning it has longer, thinner, linearly-veined leaves. Think of it this way: alfalfa=bushy, timothy=grassy?

Anyway, timothy hay should be fairly easy to find, especially in Wyoming (huge grasslands...lucky!). If you know anyone with horses, contact them as there is a good chance that they know where to get timothy hay (it's the most preferred hay for people who are serious about their horses). Also, try checking out any riding schools or horse barns in your area...they might have a supplier you could buy from. Anytime you're driving down the road and see a "Hay for Sale" sign, stop in or call the number to see what type of hay it is. Timothy shouldn't be too hard to find, you just need to be tricky about it. ;)

It's a website that shows you where hay is being sold in your area.

http://www.hayexchange.com/wy.php

Cool, thanks. None available in my area code but I e-mailed a guy who i guess is out of ID It said they deliver. Do you know how that works? I don't know if they would deliver for just a couple of bales. I wouldn't think so. Hopefully tho. Thanks

Latest posts

Back