Anyone have pet mice? or know of a good forum?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

chinchuckles
I was just at petco picking up some bedding for my chins, and I always check out all the animals they have caged up. Inside the feeder mice cage there were two little brown mice amongst all the white ones. My boyfriend has 6 white female feeder mice and they've been around for about a year now, but he just feeds them whatever is laying around +nutrena rabbit pellets because that's what I feed my chins.

So now that I actually own 2 of my own, I was wondering what essentials I must have for them etc. If anyone can point me to a good forum that'd be great, or any advice would be much appreciated!

Here's a pic! (Wilson is brown & Lucas is tan)

Attachments

• Wilson + Lucas.jpg
    Wilson + Lucas.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Lucas.jpg
    Lucas.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 121
  • cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 119
They are really cute :) I dont know of any mice forums but let me know if you find any I am just curious to learn about them as well.

yup i have mice. three to be exact. and i didn't really use any forums.
you can try goosemoose. they have a pocket pet section that people post pictures and what not of mice in.
but since it's mainly a rat forum, the pocket pet section doesn't get seen as much.

menargerie thanks for the links! I just joined both forums.

LoveBug, do you feed your mice specific mice food? Or are you able to use the food you also use for your chin or other rodents? Since I buy Nutrena (rabbit pellets) in bulk for my chins, I gave them some of that to start, but I don't want to be feeding them something that won't give them proper nutrition. Apart from pellets and hay, I don't really know what to feed. Is any veggie/fruit okay?

oh and a good thing about mice, is you can get fleece or flannel accessories for them :)
we don't have them for ours but we just fill the cage with some buildings we've made outta popsicle sticks, cardboard boxes, and pringle cans. also i had some trouble with my two girls with that wheel you're using. it was too small for ours when they got older,longer, bigger. so you may have to bump up to the next size. but not sure. our male has that wheel now and he's doing fine on it so far. oh and our meecers LOVE them some toilet paper. as well as shredded paper.

Thank you lovebug! that link to mice diet was exactly what I was trying to find. Seems like it'll be really fun to own these guys!

We feed the mice at school purina rodent chow it's a big square shaped pellet. It's recommended in our notes to use, that's what the lab mice and rats get and they're suppose to receive the best care possible to prevent illness so I would probably go with that.

they are definitely fun to have. not all the time are they friendly enough to let them pick them up
but they come around (sometimes).
but still to decorate their tanks is always the highlight of my day.
cause they go crazy over new decorations.

Lab blocks can be used. but most are 18% in protein.. and thats too high for a mouse.
plus a mouse is use to having to scavenge for food, which contains a variety of different foods.

Last edited:
Is it true that male mice can't be housed together? someone on the funmouse forum just told me I needed to separate them immediately or they'll kill eachother. I separated them just in case but I don't understand why this would be when a tank full of male mice at pet stores can live together and I've never seen fighting or blood in the cage?

i only have one male mouse, so i'm not quite sure. i think you will be okay with two though.

i think it's kinda in the male gene to fight over dominance. but just cage them together and if you see them fight or see any marks on them then seperate them. but like i said i think you'll be okay with two.

Last edited:
We've had 5 mice over the past few years (females only). We started out with 3 "fancy" mice from a pet store. One of them died within a few weeks and the second passed away about 6 months later, I think. The last one kept going strong, but we could tell she was lonely without her sisters, so we got 2 feeder mice from another store. 2 of our rats were also feeders, I love saving them from their intended fate. We were able to successfully introduce the 2 new ones to the last remaining fancy mouse and they were very happy.

The fancy mouse passed away a few months later, one of the feeders a few months after that, and the last feeder hung on by herself for somewhere between 6-9 months, at that point I think it was just spite towards us because we constantly checked on her, she was old and slow and losing hair but kept on going. One day she hopped on her wheel and played and such with more enthusiasm than she had in months, and the next morning she was gone. Our landlord wasn't happy about all the pets at that point so we didn't get any more mice when she passed.

We had several rodents at once - mice, gerbils, dwarf hamsters, and rats. We fed them all the same block food, I don't know what the protein level was, since I had never known that was an issue until now.

Right now we just have our 3 cats and 3 chins, but we are buying a house, so that will be changing!

To answer one of your questions though, if the males were already in a cage together, they should be okay. As I said above, we were even able to introduce new mice together, but only tried females. To be honest, most of our rodents have to be girls, because I can't deal with the "excess baggage!" We had two male dwarf hamsters but that's it.

Males can (and ime will) get into territory disputes that can be deadly. I had to separate mine (that I was told were littermates, which can make shared housing easier, but apparently they weren't) after a couple of weeks. Better to separate now if you can, although the theory is that in a big enough tank/cage, they could each claim a corner and be okay. I'd probably use at least a 20 gallon for that, maybe even a 40 if I had it. (I had one absolute sweetheart and one I named Grendel for exactly the reason you'd think!) Males just aren't as social with each other as females, but their social skills also seem to come in part from where they're bred. On international mouse owner forums I've visited, it's been noted that the trend among American mice is territoriality whereas mice in Oz and the UK seem to be of a milder temperament over all. Once they hit sexual maturity, though, it's a crap shoot. I wouldn't risk it. You never see injured/dead ones in the cage at the store because those are generally pulled out to be feeders for other animals. A 10 gallon "starter" tank is plenty of room for a singleton, but a 5 gallon can work if he has stuff to do.

I never bothered with feeding alfalfa pellets because they're not really herbivores. They seem to like loose hay as bedding, in addition to shredding paper towels/kleenex. I gave mine scraps of fleece to drag around as bedding too. They can get cold easily, esp. if the room is cool for a chin. Generally I modified the Sue Bee's diet (it'll pop right up from a Google search) and put in about 2 Tbs of it in every day, then gave steamed/fresh foods or whatever we were eating like many people do with rats. I usually used a low protein dog kibble instead of the lab blocks, but either one works. The trick is not overfeeding any one thing and making sure they get plenty of exercise. For training purposes, you can put a teeny little dab of strawberry jam, peanut butter, yogurt, or applesauce on your hand and put it in the tank. They'll come investigate you to see where the good smelling food stuff is.

Speaking of exercise, I distrust that type of wheel because of the spokes. Just like with chins and hedgies, they can get feet/nails/tails stuck in it. There's a type of mostly solid wheel called a Silent Spinner that I liked a lot, but you'll have to get the 6.5" recommended for Syrian hamsters rather than the littlest size. They need room for tails and a full extension of their back and legs. There's also a plastic take on the chinchilla Flying Saucer that worked pretty well if you get the medium sized one. Thankfully, plastic chewing isn't the problem with mice that it can be with chins. And, mice LOVE to climb and be athletic. You've got a great set up for the most part, but a few "condos" out of Pop-tart boxes, tissue boxes, paper towel tubes-- anything paperboard like that will be a huge hit. I also braided strips of fleece and used floral/jewelry wire to hang them from the mesh top of the tank for climbing purposes. The biter calmed down considerably with his "jungle gym" in place.

Latest posts

Back