Anyone else find hay EVERYWHERE?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koopashark

<--- fluffy troublemaker
I just finished vacuuming the whole apartment with extra attention around their cage with a dustbuster. They're both fast asleep and there is more hay on the floor outside of their cage when I know it wasn't there a few minutes ago! Where does it come from?! :hmm:

How do you keep the area around your cage "clean"?

I don't. ;) Between them and the birds, I'm a full-time maid. That or I'm up to my armpits in debri. I do have chins that will go back to a stripped stick and whittle it down so I throw those back in, but I'm always finding hay, wood shavings, the occasional food pellet, and poo on the floor. Once the rugs are gone, though, it should be easier to clean up. I hate my rugs. They have to go.

But I hear you on the hay. Always looks like they had one heck of a party in there!

Chinchilla = Mess period.

I clean up hay, sticks, and poop every morning. Vacuum twice a day, and there is still stuff around the cages. I just live with it.

I don't mind their mess and know that I'm their clean up slave :) but I must get it stuck to my feet and track it all around the house because I just found some in the bedroom!

sigh....I have carpet, they (5) are in the living room. Two huge cages on a 4x8 piece of plywood. I am the only person in the world I think who has a little kids rake for her living room!

I am the only person in the world I think who has a little kids rake for her living room!

Sad to say my sister's MIL had a rake for her kids to rake their living room floor - I was only in their house once and turned around and walked out - and they DIDN'T have pets...

Ronda

I had to go out and get a ShopVac specifically for cleaning up their messes. They kept clogging my regular Vacuum.

I have a little Dustbuster that actually does a pretty good job on the hay. I have to empty it often but it doesn't get clogged, which is a plus. I wish we didn't have rugs though!

EVERYWHERE!!!

I get poked by hay that sticks to my wash cloths / towels because I sometimes wash them right after washing the fleece.

hah, oh my god the hay. I've watched her do it too. I clean up the cage, vacuum it and all around it, refill the food, pretty the place up all nice... And the first thing she does is root around the hay bowl, pick up piece after piece after piece and throw it. Everywhere. Like shes looking for that one magical piece of hay that is tastier than all the rest. Its the most adorably frustrating thing ever xD

This is common:
7162091682_89d4b3ac86.jpg

Hay, sticks, poo, and pellets. All of them all over the cage, all over the floor around the cage. The sticks especially. Each night they get 2 new sticks and 2 old sticks and every morning there are 4 sticks strategically thrown in front of my bedroom door for me to step on and put back in the cage. Hay holders are useless, they just pull the hay out of the holders and pick through it tossing anything not up to their standards. Half eaten pellets (and poo) get thrown out of the cage when they are done most of the time, and the dish is knocked over about twice a week. Their newest is the lava ledge, one chews on it while the other rolls around in the hammock below that is catching all the crumbs and dust, which in turn gets is all over the floor. I find poo and hay all over the house, in rooms they aren't allowed in and have never been in. I only have 2, I couldn't imagine the mess from a barn-full!

haha! Same here! sticks, poo, hay, dust.. you name it... They have their own room, but I still find little poos in the hallway and sometimes it will stick to my feet and I find one in the bathroom, kitchen etc. So weird... They are clean animals, but they love to make messes!!! Becky- mine do the same thing with the hay holder, they will pull it all out to find that one perfect piece.. lol. Bless their mess ;)

Hay, poo, pine shavings, and dust. Sprocket's pretty good at throwing poo out of her cage. She's also pretty good at digging out her litter pan and throwing the shavings down the back of her cage (between the wall and the cage). :)

I giggled through this whole thread:laughitup:

I find hay absolutely everywhere. My boyfriend finds it everywhere. Our roommate finds it everywhere and I don't know how. It's like there's a hay fairy leaving presents for us all over the house.. on the bright side, our roommates dog likes to help clean it up lol

I guess I'm lucky cause I'm pretty sure my boys don't throw there poop or pellets.

i frequently find hay in my bed. and its 3 rooms away from ghe chins and they're never in there. is magic i tell you. i had to buy a new vaccum that i can take a part to uncloge easily.

on another note i woke up today to my cat glaring at me with wood shavins hay and chilla poo stuck to him. apparently he napped by the cage and the chillas were decorating him.
the poor kitty.
gah i ant wait till i can get a house and get floors that arent carpet. it would be so muh easier if i could sweep up their messes.

I can relate to the whole thread. I suspect that they intentionally throw things outside of the cage just to remind me who's really in charge. Haha.

Back