Anyone else ever had a chinchilla baby born both sexes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheobe_nz

Im very stumped and have been to the vets
But 1 week ago my girl had 2 babies
1 was a black velvet male
and 1 a grey that I couldnt work out sex
Its genitals where very strange and seemed to poo out same hole
Vet believes its a congential defect with its anus and its a hermaphrodite
Baby is doing well considering and am supplementing, Its been a hard week and was hoping for some support on here
In 12 years of breeding I have never encounted this
we are hopeing once baby grows we maybe able to correct the anus hole but we are unsure.
If this baby didnt have the fight it has I may have considered putting it to sleep, but I dont want to do that if I can avoid this
I just hope it can live a normal life I have called it Hemi
Its a wee cutie

Why would the vet think hermaphrodite because it poops out of it's genitalia? A kit is incredibly small, and I would find it hard to believe that he could have gotten a clear look at the internal workings of it's sexual organs at this point, or test for the presence of tissue or hormone levels to determine what sex it is. For your kit to be a hermaphrodite, it would have to have both male and female sexual organs, usually one type on the outside and one on the inside.

What is happening here sounds more like there is a malfunction in this little one's plumbing, so the stool is dumping out of the vaginal opening (since it couldn't come out of the penis as the passage would be too small). It's usually a result of trauma or surgery, but it has been known to happen in human babies even from birth. It has also happened in other animals, and requires surgery to fix. This is referred to as a vaginal or rectal fistula (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/v/vaginal_fistula/intro.htm). I highly doubt you would be able to repair it in a chin as surgery on them is already very delicate. Just trying to remove a stone from the urinary tract is most times unsuccessful and this would be a much harder surgery.

Vet believes its a congential defect with its anus and its a hermaphrodite

We are not 100% sure the vet has said he thinks it is both sexes but we dont know for sure,as once its bigger we intend to sedate and look at op or find out what is going on, as to whether its fixable the anus with making a second hole
It looks like it has a vagina but also a very big penis but its kinda open and urinates out same opening as anus
Im here for support not critisim
Yes maybe the kindest thing is to put to sleep but while its not suffering why not wait and see?
I will try and get pics later

Sort of sounds like an anal fistula. I don't know that anal fistulas have anything to do with hermaphroditism, I'm no expert on the subject.

Who criticized you? I asked if your vet knew what he was talking about, not you. This is a forum. If you bring up something that no one has ever seen before, obviously we are going to question it. Saying that a chin is a hermaphrodite because it has poop coming out of its genitals makes absolutely no sense and I highlhy doubt anyone on this forum has seen it happen before. If they did, I can guarantee you nobody told them it was because of hermaphroditism.

Thanks for the link Amy, but that's not "quite" the same thing. Jess' girl had no anal opening at all. That's the reason she pooped out of her vaginal opening. There was also no mention of being a hermaphrodite because of it.

I don't know what could it be exactly, but maybe pictures could help a little bit.
As to hermphrodite, once I had a hamster, that had male balls and a vagina at the same time!

Yes my chin was definately a girl. No question about it. She has an anus but is non functioning. It is completely closed off so her plumbing is re-routed to her vagina.

In our case, she is going back to the rancher where she will probably be put down. In your case, IMO, I would put the kit down. Your kit will be prone to infections, urinary tract, kidney, and if it has a vagina-vaginal and uterine infections. It is not fair to her/him to keep them going just for curiosity reasons. That's just my opinion. In my case, Steve did not think he could do a surgery to rectify her condition...I highly doubt they could for yours and honestly, you would probably just be wasting your money.

Post pictures if you can-we all want to see.
Jessica

Pheobe NZ,
Can you post a picture please... it would be of great reference for the futur and of a learning experience for those who have not seen this before... at the same time can get clear responses to something we can see.

I know I would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks

Back