Any tips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys!! I'm new to chin breeding and I need tips. I just bought a breeding pair. The female (Aya) is a 9 month old dark ebony and the male (Meo) is an 8 month old white ebony.

Hannah, there is a lot of good information on this section in the stickies. Please be sure to read that first.

Additionally, be sure to plan to attend upcoming shows (I know there is an Empress show in Ohio in January and they are talking about holding an MCBA show in Ohio in February).

There are a lot of questions you need to be asking yourself - what are your goals for breeding? Do you know what a quality chin looks like? Are you prepared with financial backup and a good chin vet in the event of an emergency? Do you know how to hand feed in the event that kits need it?

Hopefully you have a good, knowledgeable mentor who has helped you answer those questions already. If not, find one. :)

First, welcome. I second reading the threads posted by Dee. It's an excellent starting point for sure. AFTER reading them, you'll have more questions I'm sure. It's easier to give tips when we know what YOU need to know :) before breeding, you should've already done research...which means you already know a LOT about breeding and therefore, we don't want to rehash what you already know. We need to know what you DON'T know! So...read those threads, come back with your questions and ask away. The tips any given breeder on here can provide are only as good as your personalized scenario. For instance, if I go on and on about run breeding...and you're pair or colony breeding (or intend to) my information doesn't help you. There is some information that is universally important such as having a large amount of money saved (over $1000 for C-sections)...have an emergency vet on hand (incase of birthing troubles or severe fights that can break out when females get hormonal)...have a few non-perishable handfeeding supplies on hand and a list of the other ingredients/supplies AND locations local to you that they can be purchased at all hours of the night...THOSE things are universal! Otherwise, read...read...read...and ask specific questions!

Before I began breeding chins I read through all of the FAQ's on here and 90% of the old threads in this breeding section. Trust me almost every question imaginable has been asked in here and so reading them helped me learn a lot.

Tips:
1: Read, read, read
2: Go to a show, make breeder friends, there are things you learn in person that can't be taught online.
3: Save up 1000$ and know your chin vets that do surgery. ASK the vet, many will see a chin but won't do c-sections. My girls first litter ended up a disaster, it was saturday and the vet I had researched was not a 24 hour one. It took me almost 3 hours (which could have made the difference in life or death) to find one that had emergency hours AND did chinchillas. So do that well before due dates! Also, then you can ask the price ahead of time to know what to save up.

My first litter cost 1300$ after everything, 800 for spay and 500 for complications in the next few weeks, I was lucky that my female survived (spay) and 1 kit made it.

Latest posts

Back