Any thoughts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubyrolo

I started with 2 chinnies (Luna & Aurora) it took some time to get them to be besties but the eventually got there. However after 4 year Luna got sick and passed on the way to the vet and Aurora didn't get to say goodbye. Aurora kept crying out for her best friend more and more so we got a new chiny; Hope after about a month. Its been a year now since we lost Luna and got Hope but Aurora still isn't the same.
It seem like now Aurora would kind of rather just be alone. She isn't as affectionate as she used to be either towards us. While Hope is kind off doing her own thing. They get along for the most part just minor squeaks of hey that's mine or not so hard when grooming. I have a critter nation cage and most of the time one is up top and the other down below.
But does anyone have advice on how to help them get along better and maybe become besties? Could it have anything to do with that Aurora is very easy to handle and will come right out, while Hope you have to chase and then she is very nervous? Would getting a 3rd help or make things worse? Is Hope just still not adjusted to her home? What can I do to help them?

Chinchillas each have their own personalities, so some are more outgoing then others, and some are more friendly then others. Just like people, if your significant other (best friend, spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend) suddenly got sick and was gone how eager would you be to closely bond with another person again. The fact that they are sharing a cage with no issue is good, that means they do get along, trying to push it wont work, you can't force a relationship. Also chins grieve just like humans do, so it can take time, there is no set amount of time for it to take and it can permanently effect personality. Aurora may come around one day and decide she wants to be closer friend to Hope, or cage mates might be as close as they ever want to be.

I would try working with Hope so you don't have to chase her, chasing the chin around is hurting your relationship with her. It doesn't have any real effect on Aurora and Hope's relationship though, other then maybe Aurora is able to get affection from you and may not need Hope.

Getting a 3rd chin would probably make matters worse, it's not uncommon when trying to add a 3rd chin for the currently bonded pair to decide to fight and you may end up with 3 single chins. Two chins can also gang up against one as well, so you could end with the current pair against the new one or still end up with 2 and 1 but the bonding pair could switch. Some people have had success with having 3 together, but it sounds like from reading online, it fails more often then succeeds.

Latest posts

Back