Any suggestions for pee smell?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
We got chins again, after not having them for 3 years. We have fleece on the bottom of their cage and a litter pan with pine shavings. I have seen them pee in the litter pan, but definitely not all the time. There's obvious pee stains on the fleece. I cleaned their cage last night and it already stinks like pee again today. Has anyone found any solutions to this? Is fleece not the way to go? I thought about doing a tile bottom with the litter pan but since they don't always pee in the litter pan, not sure how that would go? HELLLPPP! :)

How are you washing the fleece? If you are using fabric softener or detergent with fabric softener (most brands have some) then the fleece isn't going to be absorbent. The best thing to use is vinegar as your cleaning product, it works well on smell and is antibacterial. It also it chemical free and doesn't leave any film or residue on the fleece like fabric softener does. I use fleece and neither of my two are litter trained, it just means I need to wash the fleece more often, a couple times a week is best. I use roughly a cup of vinegar per load (bottom liner, half shelf liner, and two hammocks).

Also how many layers of fleece are you using? If the chins are peeing on it you may need more layers, I use 3 layers thick. You may want to wipe down the pan under the fleece with vinegar or a water vinegar mix to clean any pee off that too.

Tile you would just have to make sure you seal the tiles, and wipe up the pee everyday.

I had tile and I actually switched, mostly because I never had them sealed so it was a pain to deal with. Cleaning wise, it was super easy... But when he decided to pee on the cracks, that's where I ran into problems. I didn't know if I was going to keep it or not so I didn't want to bother sealing it.

I liked the tile, but when I lost my other chin I just switched back to fleece. Fleece leaves me options to decorate but it's definitely harder to spot clean.

Back