any safe live plants?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drawn2beaches

I'd like to one day experiment with using all natural decor in a cage, somewhat replicating the environment my baby would have lived in if he were wild, minus the large melamine cage and glass doors, i'd like to use actual stones and a live plant or two and branches of wood for climbing, etc. the idea is to make it look and feel as natural as possible with in safe bounds. any ideas welcome, and this isnt planned for any time soon. though if a plant is fine he may get one as a litter box

It would be fine trying to make it look all natural with wood and rocks, but I wouldn't add any live plants. Even if you found a safe plant, a chin would destroy it very quickly and you may get some digestion issues. Domesticated chinchillas are still very far from wild ones, so I wouldn't risk it.

Wouldn't glass also make the cage like a sauna? It would be like leaving your dog in the car during the summer. I imagine it'd get very warm in there even in the winter time or with AC on. I'd worry about the cage growing fungus on the chin and on the cage itself... as well as the risk of the chin overheating.

You couldn't leave this in the cage because they might eat too much, but I buy a 4x4 pot of organic wheatgrass at the regular grocery store and cut off 2-3 strands for them to eat once in a while

Pretty much the closest you can get to giving them "plant life" in their cage is supplying them with large amounts of timothy hay. Mine go wild over it, so it's pretty much the same thing. And it's really the best possible thing you can feed them.

Latest posts

Back