Any rat-to-hedgie communicable diseases?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanjelly

kayak queen...
Hi all--

Yesterday, as I was cleaning cages, I accidentally used the same brush to scrub my rats' igloo, wheel, etc. to clean my hedgie's wheel. I've always kept separate brushes, towels, fleece bags, etc. just because I felt it was good husbandry, but I wasn't paying attention yesterday, I guess. My rats are healthy, but I'm just a nervous pet mom.

So, is there anything I need to be worried about that could be potentially passed from my rats to my hedgies? I'd hope that the hot water/soap/vinegar would hopefully kill anything, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I don't know if I remember hearing about anything that could be passed from rats to hedgies or vice versa.

Thanks!

I've never heard of anything communicable between rats and hedgies -- most things are species specific other than a few types of parasites. I have rats (who are sick more than enough :p) and a hedgie and I've never been told by my vet or had my own research indicate that there is a cause for worry.

P.S. You're on Goosemoose too, aren't you?!

Certain parasites like mites are species-specific, but many bacterial infections aren't. Clostridia bacteria, for one, generally affect mammals. I know they are a healthy flora in hedgehog intestines, but may not be for rats. Since hedgehogs are not rodents, there may also be rodent intestinal flora that could infect hedgehogs.

Something I would ask the vet about- or google rats and hedgies as reservoir hosts of certain diseases... but the vet should know best...

Fungus maybe. I was infected by one of the animals. Checking tomorrow which one. Hedgie cat or dog.

Gotcha! I'll have to ask the vet the next time I talk to her.

and yeah, mandycoot, I'm on goosemoose, too. :)

Latest posts

Back